add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU COOLING NECESSARY ?

MAICO

12 days ago

i recently bought a gaming pc with an intel i7 8700 and i thought i was ready to start gaming ,but i started to hear the cpu fans going wild ,so i started googling and found out that everybody is using cooling systems !!! i only play videogames 15 min per day !!! my question is will my cpu explode or something ?

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 4 points

it won't explode but it will heat up and cause problems. so yes, cpu cooling is necessary.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700-cpu-review,5638-2.html

Confirmed that the stock cooler on the i7 8700 isn't enough, gets extremely hot and thermal throttle and reduces clock speeds to protect itself from overheating.

• 12 days ago
  • 0 points

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YdJkcf/cooler-master-hyper-212-led-663-cfm-rifle-bearing-cpu-cooler-rr-212l-16pr-r1

The cooler master hyper 212 led has recently dropped in price down to the very low 20's. It will keep that i7 8700 cool and quiet.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

If you bought a prebuilt system from any of the mainstream SIs, it's going to have a cooler in it. You're hearing fans so it's obviously working. If the noise is bothering you, well, that's what the CPU cooling market is there for. Tons of options, but you need to do a bit of research.

As for the actual question, yes, it's absolutely necessary, even if you only play for 15 minutes a day. That's more than enough time for a CPU to get really hot and shut itself down to protect itself.

Also, for fan noise, most CPU coolers aren't really that loud in that someone would say the fans are going wild. It's more likely that you have a video card with a blower fan. Do you have a link to the system you bought?

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

im having this problem with a specific game "need for speed payback" the pc freezes or it shows me the blue screen of death after 2 min of playing ...i thought it could be a heating issue it only happens with that game so i dont know if its a program bug or a cooling issue with my cpu ...here is the link to the place were i bought th pc https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-450552378-equipo-pc-gamer-intel-core-i7-8700-8va-8gb-ssd-1t-gtx1060-6g-_JM?quantity=1 they told me i didnt need to use any cooling because they sell them ready to be used so idont know whats causing the freezing and blue screen with that game

• 11 days ago
  • 2 points

One way to easily check if it is overheating is to download MSI Afterburner or any other free hardware monitoring program. I like MSI Afterburner because it's easy to use and obviously free. You'll need to install the included rivatuner statistics server and then just go into the OSD and enable the GPU and CPU temperature options. If you're going above 90C, then you've got a big problem.

As for the link, with the translate options, it looks like they should have given you all of the boxes. Which GTX 1060 card did you get? If the card has a closed shroud and single fan on one side of the card, it's a blower style cooler which is the source of the noise. If it has two or three fans, it's an open air cooler which generally isn't that loud.

If your game loads up fine but consistently freezes after a couple of minutes of playing, it is either a heat issue or a bad power supply. Since it's probably more difficult for you to check your power supply, download a hardware monitoring program and check for overheating first.

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

thanks ...how do i check the heating when im playing at the same time ?

• 10 days ago
  • 2 points

It only works when you are playing. Here is a sample: https://storage-asset.msi.com/event/aio/2018/afterburner/images/Display-2.png

You don't have to display the graphs like that picture, you can just turn on the numbers.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

Do you mean water cooling? If so, no, it isn't necessary. Now, if you have the stock cooler for the 8700 installed, then it will get pretty warm. You can get a third party air cooler for it for pretty cheap.

• 11 days ago
  • 2 points

but i started to hear the cpu fans going wild

Sounds like the typical Intel Stock cooler. A i7 8700 will run decently on the stock cooling but if noise is a concern you can get yourself a cheap aftermarket air cooler that makes less noise such as the Cryorig M9i or the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim. And no your CPU will not explode on the stock cooler. You do not need to spend a lot to cool a non overclockable Intel CPU.

i only play videogames 15 min per day !!!

Only 15 minutes? When I get into a good game I can be stuck on it for hours at a time lol.

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

i play 15 min because i dont like forza 3 and need for speed payback freezes after 2 min ...

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

it might come with a stock cooler? not sure with intel. if not. get one immediately. can't personally recommend aftermarket air coolers. you probably don't need liquid cooling if you play for just 15 min a day

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > CPU Coolers".

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

when I first booted up my CPU 5960X to test the system without cooling, it generated so much heat quickly that the system shut down as protection. So in my case, a 5960X HAS to be cooled in some fashion.

When this shutdown happens, dont touch your bare naked CPU :)

• 11 days ago
  • 0 points

Yes you need Cpu cooling most CPU's do not come with a cooler but you NEED one. This is a nice rather cheep one if you want to get it. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HyTPxr/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

• 11 days ago
  • 2 points

most CPU's do not come with a cooler

Correction: Intek K skew CPUs do not come with coolers and a few select Ryzens such as the 1800x and 1600x. The 2600x and 2700x versions and all the other ones do come with a stock cooler and all the locked intel CPUs (any non K skew) comes with stock too. So out of all available models most CPUs do come with a stock cooler aside for a few that you would not want to run a stock cooler on in the first place.

Also it seems OP bought a prebuild and is concerned about the current cooler he has now with noticeable fan noise. Common for Intel stock coolers so I am going to guess that is the type of cooler OP has now especially since he has a non K skew Intel which comes with a stock cooler.

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I know a lot of Ryzen's do but I just didn't feel like telling which have them and which don't

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube