add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with cooling!!

swtechworks

6 months ago

I just recently built my PC and I need to find ways to reduce tempertures. It is not necessarily running too hot but I don't want to age my components quickly or run into issues when I overclock the CPU and GPU. I am running a corsair H100 for my CPU and have 4 120mm case fans. 3 of the fans are on the front of the case, the 2 H100 fans and the radiator are on the top of the case, and the 1 last case fan is on the back of the case. While I am running a game my CPU is usually temping around 50-60 degrees celsius, and my GPU is between 60-70. I have been testing overclocking my CPU and GPU, it starts to push the temps much higher, cpu 60-70 (or higher) and gpu 70-80(or higher). I stopped overclocking for now until I find ways to run it cooler. I have looked into air flow for the case I have (cougar penzar evo) and have not had much luck improving it. I am just looking for some recommendations if anyone has any? or tips? Thanks for reading!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

When it comes to CPUs thermal max is 100c and it is not god to allow the CPU to be around those temps for long term use. I like to aim for 80-ishc or lower on stress tests for CPUs for longevity of the CPU. 50-60c for CPU load is actually really really low for temps. For GPUs they naturally get a bit warmer and 70-90c isn't a bad range for them.

From what I can tell about the airflow design you have 3x120mm at the front as intake, 1x120 at the back for exhaust, 2x120 at the top for the radiator as exhaust as well. As long as that PC case isn't totally restrictive on front air intake then that should be ample airflow and more than what I have in my main rig. Some cases like this one make the front fans fight for air through a couple tiny slits and that can drastically reduce their effectiveness and in some cases they might not be able to move any air at all.

What case are you running? Also with an AIO are you running the pump at full speed or using PWM to slow it down?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

For overclocking, those temps are reasonable. The CPU is still well within safe levels and the GPU is still below threshold (if you use something like MSI Afterburner, the thermal limit is 84C). Considering that your CPU radiator is already top mounted, there is nothing more you can do for your GPU other than to swap the cooler for something like an AIO.

Well, just looked at your case. If you want to improve temps, try removing the front glass panel. Looking at a couple of reviews though, apparently that case already has good thermal performance. You're probably not going to reduce temps that much more unless you go custom loop, or front mount your CPU with a 280 or 360mm radiator (and maybe add an AIO to your GPU). What is your system specs?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube