add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case fan. Performance, overclocking and... turbo?

ktran714

7 months ago

I have these fans in mind to use for my upcoming build. I checked their specifications and it says that they have three speed modes for performance, overclocking and turbo. I'm curious as to what turbo is?

I didn't realize that there was something MORE than overclocking. Another thing I wanna know is how would I set the fans to determine which speed type to use. It says that those fans have a speed controller switch on the fan hub to switch between speed types but I wouldn't wanna physically change between them but rather have my computer automatically adjust to one, like overclocking (and I'm assuming it's all done through the computer bios or something along those lines?)

Thanks.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically all it does is adjust fan RPM. Faster the fan spins the more air it moves and the more noise it makes. By looking at the fan blade design it is more of a air flow optimised fan rather than pressure optimised fan so that style of fan would be good for a case fan if there isn't much getting in its way like drive cages, dense dust filters, or restrictive airflow front panels.

I found the fan in PCPartpicker and it is rated for 38db in noise and 154 cfm for airflow. Basically a jet engine in both noise and airflow. This is where people would often try to manage fans to get them to move enough air to do the job but also keep noise under control.

For CPU coolers such as HSF or AIO types they tend to favour more pressure optimized fans to push air through the heat sink tower fins or the radiators. Air flow fans may move a lot of air while in the open but that airflow drastically drops when used for forcing air through restricted areas.

One of the higher pressure style fans if you can get around the colour is a good Noctua fan. That fan is a 4 pin PWM fan so when plugged into a 4 pin header on the motherboard you can program the BIOS to auto adjust the fan speed according to temps. Fans spin up when gaming and when watching videos or browsing the net the fans slow down.

Many high end coolers do at least come with some decent fans so if you get a Noctua cooler or a Be Quiet cooler like the Dark Rock 4 (or pro version) then you can have solid CPU cooling performance while having lower noise. Here is a video by LTT you might find interesting: https://youtu.be/23vjWtUpItk

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the Enermax fan was a static pressure fan or at least a hybrid since it has static pressure?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You can tell by the fan blades. Mostly narrow blades on a steep angle are air flow optimized and wide blades with shallow angles are pressure optimized. Basically the wide shallow angle blades are better at forcing air at pressure but have a lower max airflow. Look at both the fan you linked and compare it with the noctua fan I linked to see more of what I mean. This video also shows what I mean: https://youtu.be/gXAFYNE7Cl0

Of course there are fans that are in between the two types. I am a bit more sensitive to PC noise so I tend to aim to keep all my fans under 20db. Right now all 5 case fans in my PC are being run at 7v to reduce the speed but with the number of fans I still have ample airflow in my case. The other part is airflow design in the case. My case is 2 front and 1 bottom as intake and 1 top and 1 back as exhaust. The bottom fan does a great job getting cool air to the GPU and my CPU cooler still has lots of cool air going into it so it can do its job. Though with my fans undervolted the way they are I would expect the per fan CFM to be around 30ish if I had to guess.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

also some cases wont let you change fan speed.( case only fans)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube