add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which NVME drive??

Winters343

2 months ago

Hi need a new SSD for my system. It will be a boot drive. Ill have some games and apps but not too many. 250 GB should be fine. Which of these drives is better spec wise:

Corsair MP510 (240GB) vs Crucial P1 (500GB)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CSSD-F240GBMP510-Force-MP510-Solid/dp/B07JW49VZD/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=nvme&qid=1557757761&s=gateway&sr=8-14&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J2WBKXF/?tag=pcp0f-21

The crucial is only £11 more expensive for double the size. Is there any performance hit? Any other NVME drive I should consider instead?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Get the larger drive. The difference in performance, if any, won't be noticeable as a boot / games / apps drive.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The Crucial drive. The Corsair might be higher performance to explain the price, but as far as any normal use goes you'd hardly see a difference in which case more space is preferable.

I have a Samsung 970 evo and a Intel 660p, and I don't really notice a difference outside of benchmarks when it comes to normal use. Even though the 970 is significantly faster on paper.

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

There are measurable differences between SATA and NVMe, some are more noticeable than others. After all cutting 30 seconds in half is a bit more noticeable than cutting 3 seconds in half. And the closer you get to zero, twice or several times as fast matters less.

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I agree, which is why I typically say in normal use you'd hardly notice a difference most of the time. I think we're on the same page.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends. If you are packing a few other drives for storage the 260GB difference could be peanuts. In this case, if all you want is a drive to boot OS quickly and efficiently, the smaller and cheaper drive might make sense (the Corsair is also a little faster although you will not really notice it). On the other hand, if you do not have alternative storage options get the bigger drive given you will not be sacrificing much in terms of boot time. Also will mean you will be able to keep a few more games stored on the fastest drive.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The NVME SSD will be the only drive in the system. 500 GB will be absolutely plenty for my needs. Before I order is there any cheaper or better NVME alternative to the Crucial P1 500 GB? Would downgrading to an M1 SATA SSD save a much without impacting performance?

Many thanks, Ross

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube