add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD cooling

KRZZ

6 months ago

Hello,I have an Acer predator helios 500 sadly the SSD would often get hot since iam living in really hot weather, the SSD has a copper plate on top of it to help cooling it but I will buy a heatsink to help cooling it. The question is would I put the heatsink on the copper plate or would I remove the copper plate and put the heatsink on the ssd directly?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

What ssd do you have?

A ssd works fine up to 60 C and usually starts throttling at 70 C.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually don't know the name but here is a SS from crystal disk https://imgur.com/a/KaYJm5m

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Due to the fact that you are using a laptop, there are not many options available in terms of cooling your components. If there is enough room, you could opt for an NVME SSD heatsink like you said (I recommend the one from EKWB) which could help dissipate heat from the drive. This might help, however this is only provided that you have enough room to fit one under the hood of your laptop.

To answer your question, you should take the copper plate off if you were to opt for a heatsink. The heatsink should come with small thermal pads, which need to make direct contact with the storage modules on the drive.

Edit: I recommend searching up the model of your SSD to make sure that the copper plate is not actually a part of the module that is soldered on permanently. If the copper plate is "glued" onto the modules, then yanking it off may destroy your SSD.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There is space for a heat sink, the copper plate is removeable I actually removed multiple times before, the copper plate has a thermal pad aswell, as of the model of SSD I actually have no idea it is the one that came with the laptop here is SS from crystaldisk https://imgur.com/a/KaYJm5m

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally recommend getting a heatsink, however beware the fact that it may not do much due to a lack of airflow over the fins.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube