add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

adding ssd to laptop

mattmonster

2 months ago

just bought a laptop thought it had a ssd so looking tbuy one to hopefully add to it to boost speed of the pc 120 should b fine cheaper the better

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-y530-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hard-drive-black/6219202.p?skuId=6219202

this is the laptop i got on sale normally 930 i just wish it had an extra 4 gigs ram is it possible t also add ram to this? idk aboout laptops

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice purchase! Hope you're enjoying it.

The Legion Y530 has upgradable storage and RAM.

For RAM, this laptop supports up to 32GB total and has 2 dimm slots.

For storage, this laptop supports an M.2 SSD and a 2.5" drive which can be an SSD or an HDD.

Here's a link of all compatible upgrades

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/legion-y530

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

so you think it was a good buy then and i shouldnt return?

and thanks for the links i really wana up it to 16 and a small ssd

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

120 should b fine cheaper the better

I would recommend not buying the absolute cheapest. Considering how much the prices have dropped on SSDs I would suggest looking for a nice 480-512GB SSD. If you get an NVMe one like a Intel 600p 512gb for like $63USD then you will not have to take out the 1TB HDD that is in the PC and can use both. If you get a SATA 2.5" SSD it will replace your HDD and space will be a much greater concern especially if you get a 120gb. The reason for the larger SSD is so you can have more games installed on it and a 120 is basically for Windows and basic programs only.

I would also consider price per GB on SSDs and 120GB models are just horrible value. 12.3 cents per GB is really good on that Intel 600p SSD and the 1TB version is 11 cents per GB. Compare that to a Kingston - A400 120GB ssd and it is 16.7 cents per GB. Even though the much smaller SSDs "are" cheaper they are not a good value. Around the 500gb to 1TB range of SSDs seems to have the best value now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah may ened t wait lil bit t get more money then tbh i doubt id ever use more than 300 gigs i use my old pc for videos space the only space ill use this pc for would be emulation games nothing else so 300 gigs should do me fine i hope can always upgrade i just hope i dont screw it up putting in the ram and ssd ill watch a few vids on it first

once i get the pc to 16 gigs and the ssd it should last me a good 4 years till i need to get something new

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Crucial - BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive <-- $49.99 on newegg, and 4.6/5 on Amazon.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you’re planning to upgrade your laptop from a traditional HDD to a modern SSD then let me tell you that this is one of the best things you do with your system and the easiest way for the same is to physically install it, connect the right cables, and reinstall the Windows.

You can also install SSD & keep HDD & SSD both in your system & later if you want you can also move your data from, HDD to SSD.

Now, if it comes to the question whether it’s worth or not. Then it solely depends on your requirement. To know the exact differences between both the drives SSD & HDD, I suggest you to check out the below blog: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/ssd-or-hdd-choice-is-yours/

Hope it will help.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

tbh i was told that having a ssd makes your pc run much faster thats why i want one idc for having more space as i dont plan t even ever use over 300 gigs

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube