add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2.5" SSD vs NVME M.2

Austin.Hunt

2 months ago

I am trying to decide between between the Samsung 970 Evo and the Samsung 860 Evo. I understand the M.2 has hugely faster read and write speed but solely in game load times and boot times, which will preform better/ is it worth spending extra money for an NVME?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 860 Evo also comes in M.2 2280 format as well in case you want to use the motherboard slot (most mobo's will have one slot for Sata M.2).

To be honest, games are getting so big nowadays (astonishing that a 60GB game is now on the "smaller side") you will definitely want more room. Why would you want a small drive that can hold, at best, the OS, a few programs, and then one game? Speed wise, there is a difference that favors the NVMe but it is not enough to justify cost. 1TB NVMe by Samsung is more expensive than some GPU's.

Personally I do not see any reason why you do not go for the triple - NVMe 256GB for OS and a couple of apps/installs, 500GB 2.5" SSD which is a dumping ground for "two or three current titles you are playing", and a > 2TB HDD. My nephew just had his Steam account closed that is bye bye some 100+ games he never got around to installing. I go by the rule of: Install everything do not risk losing it all. Do not ignore the HDD, you could have a very expensive lesson like my Nephew. Steam do not need a very strong reason to shut your account.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

if steam shuts down your account you cant play the games even if you installed them.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have played Steam Titles before offline when Internet was down. You do not have to access the Steam server to play installed games.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to access steam to validate the game at least once

Then it might require every month or something like that

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Don’t do anything to get your account closed down, simple enough.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah my nephew made an error of judgement, something that can happen to young lad of 18. He purchased a Steam game from CDKeys and next day could not access Steam account. I told him before to only get Steam games from Steam, these resellers online that flip games for a bargain tend to deal in counterfeit goods.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have both the 970 Evo 1TB and 860 Evo 1TB. Yes, the 970 Evo is insanely fast, but outside of installing games or Windows once (it is noticeably faster), you won't notice the performance increase as much. Mostly, just going from mechanical to SSD is the most noticeable leap. NVMe SSD to SATA SSD for game loading is like 11 seconds to 15 seconds. Is it really worth the money? That's up to you.

Honestly, I'd go with the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Gen3x4-3000MB-ASX8200PNP-1TT-C/dp/B07K1J3C23/ref=sr_1_2?crid=PCUE5JNZSDWV&keywords=adata+xpg+sx8200+pro&qid=1557952498&s=gateway&sprefix=adata+xp%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-2). It is hella cheaper than the 970 Evo and actually has faster write speeds. At only $155, it's barely more expensive than the 860 Evo. I actually purchased one today to install alongside the 970 Evo, and I'm giving my 860 Evo to my brother (buying the drive mostly to give my bro the SSD, but also just don't want any more SATA cables anywhere). If I could still return my 970 Evo, I would just buy two of the ADATA drives and save myself some money.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So if my mobo has 2 m.2 slots, go for 2 ADATA's and not 1 ADATA and 1 2.5" SSD?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If it were me, I would.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Solely for application load times, no, NVMe generally isn't worth it. I've run both, and either is quite an improvement over an HDD. If you think about it like going from 30 secs to 8 secs load time from an HDD to SATA SSD is pretty huge. But going from 8 secs to 6 secs load time for a SATA to NVMe SSD barely registers.

There's a measurable difference, but not so big that you'll be happy to the premium in most cases.

As an alternative I'd suggest an Intel 660p NVMe, it's not as fast as the 970. But it costs less than the 860 evo at the same size and is quite a bit faster than any SATA SSD.

I mean you can't go wrong either way, but there's lots of options and maybe it's not necessary to pay the Samsung tax for either SATA or NVMe. And I'm saying that as someone who's owned a half a dozen Samsung SSDs over the last few years and has a 970 evo and an 850 evo in their current system (and an Intel 660p)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1TB 660p is only $110 right now. That's outstanding value, and I'd probably pick that over SATA SSDs due to being similarly priced and higher performing.

The ADATA SX8200 Pro is about $50 more and is higher performing, definitely competing with the 970 Evo at a lower price point. However, in real world load times and boot times outside of first time setup or installs, the difference is likely unnoticeable. That extra $50 is also halfway to the 2TB model of the 660p for even more storage... and you still end up cheaper than the 970 Evo 1TB.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube