add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Samsung 970 evo vs Intel 660p vs ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Austin.Hunt

2 months ago

I am currently trying to choose an m.2 ssd and am caught between these 3 drives. My main purpose is OS and game storage. How noticeable are the speed differences and ive heard the 660p runs really hot, how much does that matter?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

970 Evo and ADATA XPG Pro are almost dead even (ADATA slightly higher on synthetic benchmarks). Since the price is about $100 less, no reason to buy the 970 Evo (I own the 970 Evo and just bought the ADATA XPG to install tonight).

The Intel 660p for most users is perfectly fine and even cheaper. It uses QLC storage technology which makes it slower when it fills up, but considering you can just use the price difference to buy a bigger drive that won't fill up as fast, it's also a good option. If your purpose is gaming, it's fine, but if it's workstation, don't use the drive for that.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I can spend the extra ~$50 go for the ADATA? I would like something that will last a while and the reviews on the 660p have mentioned its not a drive to keep for a few years.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

As for longevity, if you aren't writing 2TB on the 660p every day for a few years, it will last you quite a while, but performance-wise, it is about half the speed of the ADATA 1TB version (the 500gb and 250gb are slightly slower) and Samsung 970 Evo. Even at half the speed, we are still talking about 3 times faster than regular SATA SSDs at around 1500MB/sec, but the ADATA is 3500MB/sec. At least for me, I'll spend $50 on that.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

People only say that becuase the 660p does have a lower TBW warranty value, but even at 200TBW on the 1TB model it would take you five and a half years of writing 100GB every day, without fail, to hit that limit. And that's not a realistic use for consumers. Other drives have higher TBW, but at this point the numbers are so high they're meaningless, it's just PR and marketing. And it stems from the early days of consumer SSDs when drives were tiny and people were fretting over write exhaustion. And in any case, you're probably going to throw the drive out before it wears out from writes and how many years before you think people stop caring about 1TB NVMe drives?

Any comments about the 660ps longevity (due to TBW) should be taken with a grain of salt because either people haven't done the math, or grossly overestimate how much data they're actually writing to disk.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 660p is rated for 200 TBW. The SX8200 Pro is rated for 640 TBW. However, they both offer 5 year warranties.

For perspective, this means the 660p is rated for 110 GB per day of writes over 5 years, and the SX8200 Pro is rated for 351GB/day over 5 years. Are you going to be uninstalling and reinstalling large games almost daily, or do you prefer to keep games installed for a while? The actual endurance difference probably won't mean as much to an average gamer as $50 to spend on more games. A workstation user that dumps large amounts of 4k+ footage and edits on a regular basis though probably would be quite happy with getting triple the TBW rating for 50% more cost.

Also worth noting: Larger drives= higher TBW ratings. The 2TB 660p, which is $50 more than the 1TB SX8200 Pro, has a 400 TBW rating, for example.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Take a look at this pdf/document. It should answer your questions about ssds.

https://ssd.borecraft.com/documents/SSD_Buying_Guide_List.pdf

With the current state of the ssd market, I would not pick up any QLC SSD over any other MLC/TLC SSD since they are still available on the market, unless you can find a QLC SSD significantly cheaper.

There was a recent newegg flash sale for the Intel 660p 2TB at $185 (or $0.0925 per GB), but even then I would not pick it up over current M.2 sata SSDs like the Team MS30 (Sata, dram-less), Adata SU800 (Sata, dram, and slc cache I believe), or ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro(dram-less budget NVME). QLC SSD's will be fine for most people, but its just that MLC/TLC SSDs are better and are still available at similar prices.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-ssd,5955-2.html

The ADATA SX8200 Pro performance is very similarly to the 970 Evo while exceeding it in some tests and only marginally worse in some situations. For the same price of the SX8200 Pro at $150, I would take a look at the HP EX950. They are basically the same ssd with identical controller and firmware; with the HP having slightly higher power consumption. Prices change and I would take the cheaper of the two. 970 Evo is $90-100 more.

Product TBW DWPD Warranty
Corsair Force MP510 960GB 1700 0.93 5
Mydigitalssd BPX PRO 960GB 1,665 0.91 5
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB 1200 0.66 5
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 640 0.35 5
Adata XPG GAMMIX S11/SX8200 960GB 640 0.35 5
Samsung 860/970 EVO 1TB 600 0.33 5
WD Black 1TB 600 0.33 5
WD Blue 3D 1TB 400 0.37 3
Crucial MX500 1TB 360 0.2 5
Crucial P1 1TB 200 0.11 5
Intel SSD 660p 1TB 200 0.11 5

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13759/comparing-adata-sx8200-pro-vs-hp-ex950/10

Cheaper NVME's are Adata SX6200(entry-level, dram-less NVME), and the HP EX920(entry-level, dram NVME, "slower" than HP EX950/SX8200 Pro).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're looking for high endurance, then I recommend the Mydigitalssd BPX Pro 1TB $150 or Corsair MP510 1TB $135. "Lower performance" than the SX8200/HPEX950, but it has great endurance and costs the same as them.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mydigitalssd-bpx-pro-nvme-ssd,5830-2.html

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd also be looking at HP EX920 or Corsair MP510 (if you need encryption).

Seem like great value options.

A couple years ago, samsung was the only name in this NVME business. Now there are so many solid choices I would not pay the samsung price premium except for rare cases.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you planning on filling the drives up? Check the "performance when full", sometimes it can drastically change the performance of a drive.

I remember seeing at least one that implied that the ADATA XPG SX8200 [non-pro] seemed to work better when full (which was probably a miss-print: I think the difference is DRAM and that obviously gives an advantage to the device with the DRAM as opposed to using psuedo-SLC tricks...)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Possibly, Itll be used solely to store games so eventually it may fill up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube