add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - Home PC/light gaming

gr1m_reaper

5 months ago

Budget-friendly, home office computer that the kids can play fortnite/minecraft on. My parameters were: low budget, fast for the money spent, enough to make the family happy (for now), and of course, the ability to upgrade later.

My opinion on each: CPU -- good entry-level processor w/integrated graphics for basic games. MOBO -- built-in wi-fi. Memory -- best reviews and bang for the buck. Storage -- definitely want SSD but debating over this m.2 or the 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo. my current plan is to start with the intel 660p and then add a Samsung 860 Evo 1GB later on. Case -- compact, nice window, great price. PSU -- good value and performance, enough for this build. Monitor -- already have it, will upgrade in the future. Keyboard -- the kids like this one...

Let me know what you think!

pcpartpicker

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

btw - i don't know how to add the parts list into the post :/

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

2200G does have a iGPU (Vega 8) that can play said game at 1080p at 30fps on very high, based off of Game System Requirements.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

is this satisfactory for 8-9 year olds??

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

who knows lol. does a 8-9 year old ever ask about the frame rate???

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

well no haha, but i'm already imagining the whining if it's "too slow" !!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

to be honest, they currently play fortnite on the xbox one, which they could continue to do if need be. Plus, I figured "see how it goes" and then pull the trigger on a GPU later on ??

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

yep, and could toss this in later if desired for $140 from newegg: ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

put everything together and tried to boot up for the first time. the lights come on, the fans spin, but no display to the monitor and the keyboard/mouse don't light up. the CPU LED indicator light is lit on the mobo. i'm in the process of re-seating the cpu and the dimms, not sure what else to try. i'm using an hdmi to hook up the display, and usb to hook up the keyboard/mouse, but i read somewhere that they may need drivers installed before working - so I may need to use ps2 connections for the initial boot? i'm worried i may have installed something incorrectly or maybe bent pins. i don't know. any ideas??

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube