add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think I'm close, can you tell me if I screwed up?

Hi guys,

I've read up on a lot of stuff last couple of weeks, but I admit I'm definitly not a pro. Good job or brutally honest, give me your best shot! Can you help me out?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BsPnP3

Just a few thoughts behind the setup: - I based this around the ryzen CPU and the Samsung monitor (144 hz / 2k);

• I picked the 2600 with after market cooler (together 160 bucks) over the 2600x with stock cooler (190 bucks) because of the price difference. I think I can (learn to) overclock to 2600x speeds;

• Motherboard is nothing fancy, but still has overclocking features while being moderatly priced;

• Ram is very expensive for my taste, but everywhere I go I keep reading you NEED 3200 mhz / 14 cas timings -> what's your verdict?;

• SSD is not the best, but it's cheap, faster than a sata ssd and probably won't cause a bottleneck;

• The video card is powerful, quiet, cool and power efficient, but most of all cheap. I got a good deal;

• The tower is nothing special, just a mid range tower with mid range noise and thermals. I think it will do the job fine;

• The keyboard and mouse I chose since I do like the RGB (my MoBo and graphic card also happen have RGB, why not make it a party?), but they still seem a bit down to earth -> not to flashy.

I'm not a FPS player (love Anno though!), I love the Samsung monitor and I'm currently thinking of stepping in to machine learning. Hence the RTX 2060.

Love to hear what you think!

Cheers!

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Where are you located? I am going to assume US. You can get much cheaper RAM that is the same speed. I highly recommend you do that. The SSD won't have any practical purpose. Unless you are doing something that requires you to load large files quickly, like video editing, you won't notice a difference between a 600MBps SSD and a high end 3500MBps SSD.

• 4 days ago
  • 3 points

This is HALF as much with zero speed change: Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory. $75 on Newegg.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying.

I'm located in the Netherlands. I still feel that the ram is way to expensive, but I'm starting to realise that every hour I spend on finding alternatives that might be 20-40 euro's cheaper is time I could spend making money to pay for the difference. This might be one fight I'll just have to forfeit and shell out for the more expensive sticks.

Something I really want to avoid is having a stutter in my gameplay because of cheaper ram.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

It shouldn't take long. Find an online retailer that services your country and search for ddr4 3200 RAM, 2 x 8gb.

Cheaper RAM won't cause problems. That's not really how it works. Stutter is usually because of not having enough RAM. But 16gb is plenty for gaming.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Some of these parts are marked "purchased" - is this correct?

Assuming you already have the GPU and display at hand, the build looks great!

No you don't need 3200Mhz 14CL sticks, with current mobo optimisations with B450/X470 models, 3000Mhz 15/16CL does the job very nicely. Any disparity in performance at this point is only paper-weight enthusiast anxiety whereas for the common user, the performance difference is unnoticeable.

Consider saving around $60/$70 on RAM with something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DHPzK8/team-vulcan-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-tlgd416g3000hc16cdc01 and possibly take a 1TB SSD, eg: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1 (excellent value, regardless whether you can make use of it's excess read/write performance)

Alternatively, if you haven't purchased the GPU already, I would look to secure the RTX 2070 with 1440p higher refresh rate gaming.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

This is correct. The parts I bought are the GPU and the monitor. I've spend a ridiculous amout of time reading up on my computer hardware so it's nice to hear that I've created something worthwhile. I got a very good deal on the 2060 card. The 2070 is about 200 / 250 euro's more and the performance boost is not worth it for me. I understand I might have to do some consessions here and there to play at 144 hz / 1440p.

I've actually been going back and forth on the ram issue for the last week. What I can tell now is that I probably won't notice cheaper ram and it will perform fine. Of course there is a but (currently in threefold):

• The new Ryzen will come out in July / August, maybe in a year or two I want to upgrade my CPU, maybe the more expensive ram will perform better with the 3000 series.

• I've never overclocked before and maybe I want to try my hand at it. I think it will be good fun to do it with the Samsung B-die sticks.

• I desperately want to avoid any stutter in my screen. I'm afraid that the cheaper ram will give me a bottleneck once in a while.

I like the size of the "new" ssd's. Last time I bought one I got 128 gb's for 120 bucks and with speeds that don't even come close. I've learned to use the small disk and I don't need more than 500gb. I'll also install a couple of WD HDD's of 3 tb in raid 0 for storage. Guess I should have added those to the build.

Thanks for the reply and your time! It helped shape my idea on my build.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

The QVL and B-die racket held greater precedence with the earlier 1000 series Ryzen processors as it allowed the Ryzen CPU to run at it's optimal range and presented some added functionality in the OC environment. AMD's infinity fabric frequencies holds a direct relationship with RAM frequencies hence these were more strongly tied-in.

With Zen+ optimisations and Ryzen 2000-series chips, the former became a lesser concern with AMD ironing out several key issues concerning latency/access times. From an overclocking perspective, yes the 3200Mhz 14CL modules will present some advantage in added performance which looks great on paper. But in real-time perceptible performance, you won't see hardly any difference. Hence at this point its purely down to "personal preference".

Personally, for a gaming rig and day-to-day general productivity i'd stick with 3000Mhz. Where faster RAM would still be considered is for my other builds which run more RAM intensive workloads (eg. raw manipulations and mem-tool rendering, etc). Anyway it's down to user-preference and wallet-willingness

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

As others have noted, you don’t need 3200 CL14, CL16 is fine, and in fact 3000 CL16 is good enough for most work. The higher speeds and timings get you a couple percentage points, sure, but not terribly cost effective.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube