add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC build in my life

Chikyu

4 days ago

Hello, everyone! I am new in PC building. Spent my whole life playing in consoles, particularly Playstation (PS2 to PS4). Currently, I only have my HP Envy Notebook (P6M17PA#UUF) to play League of Legends (the only game I can play with this laptop). That being said, I want to build a PC that I can use in playing the latest and upcoming AAA games. Besides gaming, I will use it on making maps in ArcGIS/ArcMap. But my priority is gaming (haha).

I researched and watched in YouTube regarding different components/parts; hence came up with this list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxRTGG

I would love to receive any positive/negative criticisms, recommendations and suggestions.

PS. In my country, the total price of all components is $1770 (92,000 php)

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 3 points

I have a different take than above. I would stick with the 2600X. A few FPS is going to make a big difference, but the thread count will when you're looking to play new AAA games. Sufficient threads improve frame pacing, that's more important than FPS alone. If you were playing older games, or less demanding games, like sticking with League of Legends, maybe Overwatch, Fortnite, etc, that don't require so as many cores and threads, then yeah, go with Intel for the few extra FPS.

For the SSD, take a look at the 660p, it can often be found for the same price as the MX500, but faster in most situations.

I have no qualms about the 2060, if you don't look to upgrade in the next few years and just want to keep going with this for like three+ years and you're happy with high detail and lowering to medium detail if necessary, this will do it just fine.

I don't know how much those case fans cost, but I wouldn't bother. The H500 has a closed front, so you can't really see the RGB you're getting the fans for, and they're way too expensive. Using the USD price, with the case being at $70, the total case cost is $130, meaning you're paying $130 for a case that has the quality/features of a $70 case. I'm always hesitant about this, but it's up to you.

And I can't help but ask this to everyone now, how soon do you need this? We're just over three weeks from E3 and AMD will be making announcements about third generation Ryzen then, so if you're not desperate, I would wait for those. You can potentially get a CPU slightly better than the 2600X for a cheaper price, or if not, the 2600X (and B450 motherboards) is very likely to go on sale to push the stock out in welcoming the next generation. Currently, if a Ryzen and Intel has the same clock speed, there's about 10% raw performance difference due to instructions, IPCs, etc, and I don't think 10% increase is unrealistic for third generation over second generation Ryzen. Take into consideration improvements on the clock speed, improved instructions and the fabrication process dropping down to 7nm, third generation Ryzen is very likely to outperform all non-K Intel CPUs out of the box on stock speeds, provide more cores and/or threads and be cheaper. They'll be a far better deal, so definitely worth the wait over second generation if you're not in dire need of a new build right now. This is just my speculation though, no data or sources to back up.

Just my opinion.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Your opinion is very appreciated, my friend. Thank you! I will probably play more single-player games than online.

You're referring to intel 660p right? That's also my first choice but it is not available here. What do you think of Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DgJtt6/western-digital-blue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b)? or samsung 860 qvo?

Regarding the fans, those RGB fans are only options but I will also look for cheaper ones. I'm planning to add 2 more fans as intake to avoid dust build-up because I learned that NZXT H500 works with negative air pressure, making it dust-magnet. I will put the 2 stock fans as intake and replace them with 2 additional fans on the top and rear of the case.

I also heard about the news/rumors about the Ryzen 3000 Series and Navi release on the Q3 of 2019. Do prices on current generations really drop globally when new generations are released? I'm certain that I can't afford the new ones that's why I am looking forward to the price drops. Btw, I'm planning to build this on the last week of June/first week of July, so this gives me more time to think on the components and if I should build now.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 days ago
  • 2 points

Although for some games, it is about the game mode (Battlefield V, Black Ops 4, etc), it's not always the case. Look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, some scenarios do use 12+ threads, and it's a single player game.

If you can't get the 660p, it's fine, because I don't know the prices either, so it was a suggestion to look at it. You can also look at Crucial's P1 and see how the price of that compares. If they're too expensive/unavailable, just stick with the MX500, which is absolutely fine and I have no issues with it. WD Blue is good, if it's marginally cheaper than the MX500, get it, likewise for the 860 QVO. Price determines a lot for me, since I look at it from a price-to-performance perspective.

I wouldn't be too concerned about dust, just be sure to clean it every so often if you're concerned about the build up of dust, the important thing is keeping it cooler enough. The 2600X isn't that warm, so usually temperatures in a more confined case isn't an issue.

It's all rumours at this point, but I think it's safe to assume Navi is August/September time, so yes, Q3 2019. Third generation Ryzen on the other hand, my guess is at the latest, end of June/early July, and can't imagine it being later than that. Keep in mind that first generation were released February 2017, and second generation Ryzen were released April 2018, so they're roughly a year apart. If AMD misses this June/July release date, there will soon be Intel rumours that will have an impact on their sales, so if AMD didn't want that, they have to release them soon, since a lot of people were expecting them a lot earlier this year. Also, they can't delay it too hard, they promised four years of AM4 support, so everyone was expecting four generations, if they let people down on this, it's going to reflect badly, or if they delay it and four generations end up being five years, they lose a lot of money. AMD pretty much HAVE TO release it after the E3 announcement, they don't have much choice.

Do prices of current CPUs drop? For Intel, no, it's awful, but for AMD, if we use first and second generation as a basis, yes. 1700 for example, was launched at around $300 retail and remained close to this price until second generation were released, which about two weeks after second generation were launched, there were prices as low as $220 for a 1700. I cannot guarantee this to be the case, no one can, but my guess it probably will be the case. Retailers won't want to hold old stock, and it will be worse this time round. Second generation was a refresh of first generation, i.e. Ryzen 5 1600 > Ryzen 5 2600, Ryzen 7 1700X > Ryzen 7 2700X, they kept the same core and thread count, so first generation were an absolute deal to buy given that per core performance improvements were very minimal. However, if the rumour comes true, third generation is making entry-level 6 cores, 12 threads, that means third generation Ryzen 3 3XXX will be the same as Ryzen 5 2600, in core and thread count, BUT Ryzen 3s are priced cheaper than Ryzen 5s, so previous generation Ryzen 5s just won't sell any more, because the new generation is cheaper and improved. That's why current Ryzen CPUs are very likely to go on sale, but again, no guarantees and this is still based on the rumour (although very logical and possible) that next generation Ryzen 3s will have 6 cores, 12 threads. Don't be so certain on prices yet, like I mentioned, if they make it 6 cores, 12 threads Ryzen 3 rather than Ryzen 5, the new generation will be cheaper. Even Intel was like that, i5-7600, 4 cores, 4 threads, retail price $210+, one generation later, i3-8100, 4 cores, 4 threads, retail price at $110+. Pricing depends on the label they give it, i5 were mid-ranged CPUs, so they were priced more expensive than the entry-level i3 CPUs, despite newer and similar performance. If they don't price it like that and just price them based on comparative performance, CPU prices will just grow exponentially and no one can afford an entry-level/basic computer. Imagine if the 8100 costs $210+ like the 7600? Then the 8400 would have to cost $300+, 8700 would be $450+. I don't mean, expect the new entry-level Ryzen with 6 cores, 12 threads to be $100 like the 2200G, taking inflation, profits, R&D into account, but it shouldn't be more expensive than any Ryzen 5 you can get now, so the retail prices should be in between the 2200G and 1600 if you ask me.

If you're building so late, you can definitely wait for the announcement and check out prices first.

This is all my speculation and theory based on a logical approach, absolutely zero evidence, because I'm waiting on their announcements in Computex and E3 too.

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! I'll keep everything in mind.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

You might want to price out the build with an i5-9400F CPU, a B360 or B365 motherboard, and 2666 MT/s memory, for comparison. The Ryzen is a better multi-tasker and the 9400F will probably get you a few additional fps gaming. What you have looks pretty good to me.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestion. Should I retain the RTX 2060? Kinda having second thoughts in getting gtx 1660 ti

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Depends on what you want. Either GPU ought to be able to run 1080p well over 60 fps, probably more like 80+ for most games (unless it's one of those poorly optimized games that buries the CPU at 60+ fps). I think the 2060 has somewhere around a 15-20% speed advantage, the question is will it matter or is 70-100fps good enough. I think if it were me I'd go with the 1660 Ti and save the money, but that's up to you and how you game.

Now if you were thinking of moving to 1440p which is a lot harder on the GPU, I'd stick with the 2060.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks once again! In my country, the difference in price between 1660Ti and 2060 is 75$. Hmm..I think I'll also stick with 2060 on this one since maybe it can handle new games better(?).

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Not sure how much difference it will make to new games - the ray tracing stuff isn't a big success and the 2060 is light on it anyway. On the other hand the 2060 does certainly give you a little more potential going forward for higher settings or higher resolution. You aren't wrong either way.

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube