add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

storage strategy

ose

6 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ose/saved/ I'm trying to figure the proper sized drive that W10 should be installed on. I opted for two m.2 drives for my computer build. 500gb which I installed W10 on , and an additional 250 gig m.2 for additional storage. What is the proper strategy for the size and type of operating system drive? ose

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

There is no one best strategy. I personally think it's simplest to have one big drive rather than a couple little ones. Others like to keep Windows and the C: drive stuff separate and put all their games / apps on another drive. (The "other drive" has traditionally been a hard drive, but with SSD prices falling that no longer makes as much sense as it used to.)

If you go for separate drives, I wouldn't go smaller than 240GB for the boot / windows drive mostly because a) 120GB drives are not cost effective and b) if you manage to fill up the boot drive, it can be a pain to expand.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Install on the 250gig drive. Windows needs around 20-30 gigabytes. So install on the 250gig and put a few programs on it. Maybe swap the 500gig for a SATA.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I wish this "windows is only 20-30G" myth would die...

It's 20-30G on day 1, fresh install, no swap file, no temp files, no updates, no upgrades...

Give it a few years on a drive of collecting temp files, updates, and, the big one, the space it needs to perform upgrades from version to version of Windows, and we're way over 50G.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Might, thanks

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what you store and use of the PC. If it is just going to be a gaming PC why get multiple drives? I would spend a little extra and get the 1TB Intel 660p NVMe SSD and not have to worry about what drives my games are installed on. Also it would have more space compared to what you originally selected and take less ports to leave more room for future upgrades.

I would also recommend a better PSU than a rosewell such as this PSU which also has a 5 year warranty from Corsair.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

understood , true about the m.2 port sharing issue. THANKS. Your not the first to clue me in on the psu choice. My motivation was...Semi for price,600W minimum and basically price at the point of buying. I could have done that better.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Your PC will have trouble hitting 300w power draw on how you have it saved now. 550w is still going to be ample power. Also for cables there is often cable ties included in with some hardware but if you need more visit a dollar store. That can solve non modular cable issues.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

That's one of the things I like about this(3rd) computer.it's a micro case but there's plenty of open room inside due to no drives taking up half the space.just fans. If not for that I Would have went all modular on the power.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I can see the way the front panel is designed it has more metal than holes that restrict air flow greatly. Gamers Nexus did a review on the ATX version of the case but the matx version uses the exact same front panel design https://youtu.be/F3n80GxU-Zs . You might be able to do a custom mod where you cut out the metal that would cover the fan blades of any front installed fans. Gamers Nexus shows that style of case being one of the hottest cases available currently. Though it is better than a super budget Roswell PC case and you get what you pay for on super cheap cases.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a good idea. I one drilled a '----load' of holes in an older case panel that had no openings. At least the newer cases rectified that problem to some degree.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Also my case is the Q300L. The link you provided is for the 500L https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NI0yQXZnw 43.00 You get what you pay for I liked the design compared to my other older cases. I may try to do a modification on the acrylic cover to give it some air holes too. Not just yet though. I don't want to screw that up yet.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no "proper" strategy. Just different strategies. I think most of the time people will opt to put Windows on the smaller drive though as it give you a bit more flexibility when it comes to backups and recovery....

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft can be pretty picky about what goes on "C:" drive (I have a 64GB OS partition*, installing visual studio was both limiting and painful), so I can't see any good reason to install on more than one drive.

You could do the above with NVMe and SATA, but it really looks like once you pay the NVMe premium, you might as well buy the whole thing in NVMe.

About the only good reason to use more than one drive would be a "fast/slow" system, presumably meaning a SSD and a HDD. If you are going the Ryzen route, you might want to have a 256GB drive and/or partition for StoreMI to combine with the HDD, otherwise just have all SSD C: and all HDD D:. Note that this only makes sense for some really big HDDs as the cost of a 3TB HDD is about the same cost as going from a 500GB SSD to a 1TB SSD: unless you really want the extra space, don't bother.

Between the ancient DOS limits of filesystems and using Linux for years, I've gotten into the habit of partitioning all my hard drives. But I can't recommend it anymore, unless you want to use it for some sort of backup scheme (backup the image of C: and the files of D:?). Maybe for a Linux system where you might want to upgrade by wiping out "/" while saving "/home", but for windows I'd want everything on one big hard drive (possibly minus a 256GB partition for StoreMI, I like my storage and would like to accelerate my HDDs).

• why a 64GB OS partition? Well it is my first SSD, a 96GB drive from way back. The other 32GB is a couple Linux partitions (probably / and /swap, might even fit /home) as Linux fits in tiny places. And until I tried to install Visual Studio, it hadn't given me any issues. I just gave Windows my next 256GB SSD (It's due for another) as D: and it was happy. Expect the next build to have a single 1TB (or more) NVMe with partitions (but only because of Linux and StoreMI, not for Windows in general).
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go for Adata SU650 1TB. Its a cheap dram-less TLC nand ssd and $24 cheaper than the 1TB 660p. If you go for a two drive setup, you can move the location of download, documents, music, pictures, video, and games folder off of system drive (in properties). I think, eventually, you'll want to add another drive. You would then just clone current drive, wipe contents on this drive, and then move folders on to current drive.

• ose
  • submitter
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Great idea. I started by moving the Music folder from C: to D:. I'll do the others too. I always had two drives in my other computers so I got used to that. I didn't really know the proper way to move certain folders using properties. Now I do. My hangup is mental. I just completed a build https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ose/saved/ and for the first time opted for two m.2 drives. Windows on the larger. maybe should have done it another way but it seems to be fine right now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube