add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bronze PSU. How long does it last?

yummy_tofu

1 month ago

I want my pc to last for 4+ years do I need a gold PSU or bronze is fine?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 6 points

Efficiency and longevity have no correlation.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

The efficiency rating has nothing to do with build quality. Correlation is not causation.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I want my PC to last for 4+ years.

Considering your other components lasts that long, you can never be sure how long a PSU will last.

Your best chances are to get a good quality PSU with at least 5 years warranty (Bronze or Gold doesn't matter) and hope for the best. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Gold, Bronze, Silver, etc. are efficiency certifications. They tell you literally nothing about quality.

Bronze PSU can last 10 years, Gold PSU can last 3 years.

Buy quality, not a label.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Buy quality, not a label. right their is the best comment.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

gold or bronze are for efficiency. I'd want 80+ (just to know it has some efficiency), but even bronze isn't really needed.

I'd recommend making sure your power supply is twice your typical power draw (look up benchmarks that more or less approximat your system, then use the "loaded" power level for gaming and "idle" for surfing. Then buy a power supply that supplies twice that). Also put the build in pcpartpicker to check the wattage. If you buy it mainly for surfing and then double the "idle" levels, you might get a number less than the maximum power draw: if so then make sure the power supply can exceed whatever pcpartpicker says the draw is.

Also stick to good name brands. Only two companies make CPUs. Only two companies make GPUs. Only two companies make [spinning] hard drives (maybe 3, I can't keep track of who is really independent: you just don't have to worry about fly-by-night spinning hard drives). Power supplies, SSD, and to some degree DRAM are right open and I'd recommend being cautions about brand names (granted you can go wrong with the brand name building a bad video card around a well known GPU, but power supplies are wide open). Corsair and Seasonic should last 4+ years (I'm sure others, but some otherwise good brands can be hit or miss).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

or you could just look at the PCPartPicker Watts calculator and add like 100Ws

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why adding 100 Watts more?

PCPP estimated build power consumption is already too optimistic. lol

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Expansions?, honestly i can't find any 350-400W PSUs that are up to date and modern

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh! i misunderstood your previous statement.

So, no problem :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Pure Power 11 400W?

Good quality PSU, uses modern technology, has a good fan.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've been told that Gold Rated PSUs tend to be better quality due to the components are better(to get the better efficiency), but that ultimately doesn't mean it'll last longer, although i do recommend gold over bronze

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gold, go with a quality PSU its the only part I've had to replace cause I went cheap on it. Dumb idea on my part.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube