add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to move data to spanned volume

Executablefiles

1 month ago

I recently got a 480 gb ssd so that I can combine a 240 gb ssd in a spanned array. However, all my data is stored on another 240 gb ssd that is starting to run out of storage. How do I transfer all my data so that it will run on my spanned array? I am using windows 10.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are talking RAID 0 then both drives needs to be the same size and would require formatting both drives and starting from scratch.

You may be able to find data on the smaller drive to move to the larger drive.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not looking into raid 0. I just want to run a 720gb setup with the two unused drives I have. I set up the two drives, so now I have to format the drives so that those can run everything.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

spanning volumes can be a headache as that is not on a hardware level like raid is on the motherboard but on a software level with windows. If one is your boot drive you won't be able to do it.

https://youtu.be/H84PsafHcV4

You need to use disc management to delete the partitions on the drive then to span the volume across. Also if one drive fails you could potentially permanently lose everything on both drives. Raid 0 also has that same drawback so I never recommend using it unless you just need a super fast scratch disk for temp files and not permanently save data on them, aka content creation work.

How you transfer your data will depend on what data it is. Games installed by steam you can add a new folder on the new drive and in steam settings make it your default game folder. You can then go through your already installed games and tell steam to move the games to the new folder to transfer the drives. Things like music, documents, pics, etc you can basically drag and drop. Other programs and games may need to be uninstalled and reinstalled on the new drive as installers will ask you where you want to install it to during the install.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok. I already have two drives spanned together and I just need to run everything off of it except windows.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube