add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

5400 RPM HARD DRIVE 2tb

adeoluy2k

1 month ago

Did I make a bad choice with a purchase of a 5400 RPM HARD DRIVE 2tb [$60 canadian] I thought it was 7200rpm I also have an SSD but plan to take advantage of amd/ryzen Store-Mi

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Depends what you use it for. If it is just to store music, videos, pics, etc then 5400 RPM is just fine. If you plan to install and run any games off the HDD instead of your HDD then it will be slower than a 7200RPM drive. The speed difference from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive is not huge unlike the difference from a 7200RPM drive and a SSD.

5400 RPM drives on average run a bit cooler iirc as they dont have as powerful motor but that will be a moot point if the HDD is in a well ventilated area.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

so i shouldn't worry much about the slower speed the deal on a2tb drive blinded me

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Well HDDs are just so in general. And RPM alone doesn't determine performance. Modern 5400 rpm drives can be quite a bit faster than older 7200 rpm drives. Regardless they're still dirt slow though so I wouldn't worry about "performance" differences really.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

it will be 17% slower is what i read.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think at least some Western Digital drives report the same transfer speed (from plates) on both 5200rpm and 7200rpm. Latency will always be 17% slower, which is the real problem.

Audio, video, and similar media just mean they launch like they would off a hard drive (barely perceptible) and then have zero difference. I'd equally assume that with StoreMI, you can reasonably assume that your heavily used files will be coming off the SSD while anything coming off the HDD will always feel painful (but after that initial hit will be back to SSD speeds).

And don't forget the 5200rpm drive should be more quiet and cool. Depending on the case, they may well be the better drive.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've been using StoreMI since it was released. A lot of people have had problems with data loss & crashes when using StoreMI on their boot drive, so be aware. The way I got around it is this: I have a dedicated SSD for my operating system & regular programs. I have a secondary SSD tied to a hard drive which is setup for games only. I have had zero problems using it this way. Since all my games are automatically backed up, a crash would be a minor inconvenience, but that has yet to happen. I would never trust the StoreMI drive with critical data. Too many people have regretted it. It has all the reliability drawbacks of RAID0.

The performance difference depends. I usually rotate through 2 or 3 games at a time. If I'm using a frequently used game, it will load at SSD speeds. If I load a game that I haven't played in a while, it will load from the hard drive the first time, eg - slowly. If I play that game again soon after, it speeds up because StoreMI moves frequently used files over to the fast storage automatically. If you play a whole bunch of different games all the time, it probably wouldn't be worth it, but if you only play a few at a time, it will make a big difference.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the performance.

All said, based on how StoreMI works in reality, the difference between 5400RPM & 7200RPM won't really matter. What will make the most difference is how you use it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

the issues about data loss etc when were these issues occurring and do you know if they are resolved please clarify the following Since all my games are automatically backed up

your set up one dedicated ssd and a store mi set up[ssd and hard drive] what data is split btw them

this is my firt build no gpu yet waiting for computex navi build and the price drops that wil happen if navi isnt for me

thanks for this clarification [All said, based on how StoreMI works in reality, the difference between 5400RPM & 7200RPM won't really matter. What will make the most difference is how you use it.]

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

quoted text - "when were these issues occurring"

They are ongoing. There are 2 issues. First is when you have data stored on multiple drives like this, if one goes bad, you lose all the data on both. Storage is pretty reliable, so not a huge deal, but definitely a point to consider. Second, when the StoreMI partition is used on the boot drive, many people have had the partition become unreadable by windows. At that point, your only choice is to reformat & reinstall windows & everything else. All files on that partition generally end up lost. The main point is to back up your data. Google "StoreMI problems" & you'll find lots of horror stories.

quoted text - "Since all my games are automatically backed up"

Steam, Gog Galaxy, Uplay, & Origin Games all backup your save games to their servers, unless you turn that feature off. If you change hard drives, you simply reinstall the games & your save game files automatically restore.

quoted text - "what data is split btw them"

My boot SSD is 256GB (C:). I have windows & all my non-gaming software on that. No personal files are on this drive. The entire drive is backed up to a local network drive, but a total loss wouldn't be the end of the world. My secondary SSD (E:) is 480GB. 316GB of it is a stand alone partition for fast storage. All file downloads, & personal files are stored there. That partition is also backed up to a local network drive & to a couple cloud services in real time. If that crashes, I lose no data, unless the apocalypse occurs. The remainder of that SSD is the fast side of my StoreMI array (F:), combined with a 1TB hard drive. Only games are stored there. If something goes wrong, I haven't lost anything more than the time it takes to fix it.

Good luck with your build.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thanks alot so based on what you have said it seems your recommendation is

one ssd for boot and non-gaming software\ frequently used storemi config for everything else

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It works well for me. Don't forget to backup anything you can't afford to lose. That applies to any storage configuration.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

still very noobish but i plan on making use of my google drive and any other free cloud storage services i can access

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Does this have to be manually partitioned? I've been assuming that StoreMI would be ideal for my father (giving him ~3TB of space without worrying about where it is stored. This is a man who appears incapable of saving files anywhere but the desktop even though he has used computers since 1981).

Can you convince Windows that "\user\" is "D:\User"? I think that would direct nearly all his problematic saves to the StoreMI drive. Or maybe I'll just have to go with a big SDD, backups are equally impossible for him.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I think you'd be trading one headache for a bigger headache. As I mentioned in a previous comment, StoreMI seems to have an issue with randomly corrupting boot drives.

There is a much easier solution built in to Windows, though. Sounds like your dad is just like mine.

quoted text - Can you convince Windows that "\user\" is "D:\User"?

Yes, there is. I setup all multi-drive systems I maintain this way, including my own rig, & my Dad's. Follow these directions so you see what I'm talking about. Nothing will be changed unless you actually confirm all the prompts, so this is perfectly safe to check out without making any changes.

Open up file explorer on a computer. On the left column, right-click on Desktop & choose properties. Click on the "Location" tab. There you will see the current file path for the Desktop folder. Click "Move". Navigate to where you want to relocate the Desktop, (D:\User) for example. Create a new folder there called Desktop & then choose Select Folder. That will close that window & bring you back to the Properties window. Click Apply. You'll get a prompt asking you if you want to move all the files from the old location to the new one.

When you're just looking at what I'm talking about, click "Cancel" here & no changes will be made.

Now that you've followed these steps to see what's what, install the 3TB HDD into your Dad's computer. Follow the same steps, but instead of canceling at the end, choose Yes.

Windows will move the physical location of the Desktop to the new storage drive. You can do the same thing for Downloads, Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc, so that all his stuff automatically goes to the storage drive. Windows will operate exactly the same, & his user experience will be the same as well. The people who's computers I've setup this way don't even know the difference.

Regarding backups, you're probably best off using a cloud storage solution. Unfortunately, none of the free options are without limits. but you can get 2TB from Google for $10 a month, cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. Install Google Backup & Sync on the computer to be backed up. The setup instructions will allow you to backup any folders on the computer. Once setup, it will just run in the background seamlessly.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

I've assumed I'd partition my own SSD drive in a similar way (mostly because I mostly use Linux, but want to use StoreMi for steam games. Finally get "all the steam library" on "SSDish").

Dad is another issue, and this looks like a good plan. I was even wondering if simply using a 512G drive for StoreMI would make sense (as it should fill the 256G more or less) and leave the rest fallow (for SSD performance). I think leaving the OS and minimal extras would leave enough fallow for SSD performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube