add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which PSU to buy?

SepeSa

1 month ago

So i have bought almost all of the parts but I’m stuck at the PSU. I don’t know anything about the PSU (Gold or Bronze) 80+ certified or anything. Im looking to buy a PSU from Amazon.ca since i have a budget balance there, maybe somewhere around $100? Not sure how much a efficient one for my build would cost but please recommend me something that suits my build.

Build : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7x4Qmq

The ones i found on amazon are https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-9020133-NA-TX550M-Modular-Supply/dp/B01MSEYY23/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=txm+corsair&qid=1558748533&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Semi-Modular-CX550M-Supply-CP-9020102-NA/dp/B01B72W0A2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=corsair+power+supply&qid=1558748584&s=gateway&sprefix=corsair+powersupp&sr=8-3-spell

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you haven't bought the Monitor yet, this this one would be the better pick.

And the same applies to the SSD drive.

So if you haven't purchase the MX500 yet, you could get an Intel 660p for almost the same amount of money.

As for the power supply, both are good PSU units.

I would give a score of 8/10 for the CX550M unit and a 9/10 for the TX550M one.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have not purchased the monitor and thanks for that recommendation ill check it now, as for the SSD, unfortunately i have already bought it, is there a huge difference in performance?

I have not bought the PSU yet as im wondering which to buy, would you recommend i buy the TXM then? It does not say certified though nor that i know what they mean by it. Would it be compatible for my build? I mean that as suitable PSU? Like 550 is enough or i should get more?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is there a huge difference in performance?

If you don't do editing stuff with huge files, you will not see any substantial speed differences.

And of course the good thing with an M.2 drive is, that you don't need any additional power and data cables to get it to work, and that means less cable clutter and well...maybe a better looking build. :D

I have not bought the PSU yet as I'm wondering which to buy, would you recommend i buy the TXM then? It does not say certified though nor that i know what they mean by it. Would it be compatible for my build? I mean that as suitable PSU? Like 550 is enough or i should get more?

All latest PSUs that use a 24-pin power connector follows the ATX12V rev. 2.x specs and are compatible wit all recent boards.

550 Watt are plenty even for a RTX 2080 Ti GPU with your build configuration.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It does not say certified though nor that i know what they mean by it

By certified I assume you mean the efficiency rating. A company called 80 plus tests the efficiency of PSU's and assigns them a rating(white/80+,bronze,sliver,gold,platinum, and titanium). 'The TXM is gold rated. Efficiency has nothing to do with build quality or performance of the PSU, only effiency. And even then it has little meaning since between bronze and gold and gold and platinum its only a few percent difference on something that is gonna like $8 or less to run a month. If I were to remove 16 cents from your bank account right now would you notice? Probably not. However if you pay a premium for efficiency (such as going to platinum from gold) there is a decent chance you will notice that $10-$30 missing. Didn't mention bronze vs. gold in that example since many of the high end units are gold rated although as I explained before they aren't high end becasue they are gold, correlation is not causation.

Would it be compatible for my build?

You can use PCPP to check but to answer your question, yes it is compatible.

I mean that as suitable PSU? Like 550 is enough or i should get more?

Yes the TXM is a excellent PSU and 550W is more than enough.

But instead of the TXM I would go for a Antec Earthwatss Pro

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/TDjJ7P/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ea750g-pro

It shares the same platform as the Seasonic Focus so it is a high end PSU and you get 200W for only a few dollars more. I would place a smudge above the TXM. $107 CAD for this is a great deal.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu,5429.html (skip to the final analysis if you want something more understandable to read)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube