add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What do you guys think about the new BarraCuda Pro should I get it instead of the WD Black ?

rofi

1 month ago

According to these benchmarks it looks like the Seagate might be a little faster. I'm interested in getting the 2TB but the 6TB was the only one I could find benchmarks on.

http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-6TB-2016-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-Pro-6TB-2016/3927vs3900

But I'm sure speed difference is quite negligible, I'm more into the noise and reliability factors.

Yes I know if I want to speed I should get a SSD, no thanks. Their too expensive for the size. When they make them for $150 for a 2TB I'll get one then, so lets move on.

Have any of used the newer BarraCuda Pro how is it when it come to noise and also the newer Blacks ? Thanks

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm interested in getting the 2TB but the 6TB was the only one I could find benchmarks on.

which is better? BarraCuda Pro 6Tb or black western 6Tb?

between these 2 which is faster? https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-6TB-2016-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-Pro-10TB-2016/3927vs3901

So are you in the market for a 2TB drive? a 6TB drive? or a 10TB drive?

It's not obvious what you're really trying to get at here, but I'll share some thoughts on the matter that are applicable across the range.

If you're in the market for a 2TB drive, don't bother, just skip right on by and pick up a 4TB instead. There are numerous options to choose from that offer better cost/TB than 2-3TB drives. Even basic 5400RPM consumer drives in 4TB size will wind up performing on average about the same as a similarly priced "performance class" 2TB drive when loaded with the same amount of data because they can fit 2TB of data on the outer third or so of the radius of the drive, so the heads don't have to move as much and the disk speed under the head will be more consistent. This also means that a 4TB drive is apt to live longer than a 2TB drive that is being used to store the same amount of data, as the heads won't have to move as much to access the data.

If you're in the market for "performance" class consumer drives, like the barracuda pro and black drives, just skip right on by and pick up enterprise drives instead. They are almost always priced better, offer similar or better performance, and are built to even higher standards, rated for more demanding workloads over the same 5 year warranties.

If you're in the market for drives in the 4-8TB range, there are good value consumer drives to choose from. Above this size, you're largely in the land of enterprise class drives anyway.

4TB drive recommendations:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $96.16 @ OutletPC
Storage Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $107.99 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Gold 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $151.40 @ OutletPC
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 07:50 EDT-0400

Blue and Red will perform about the same. Both are nice and quiet being 5400RPM drives. The red buys a few quality upgrades for reliability. The Gold is a full blown enterprise grade drive that surpasses Black and barracuda pro drives in terms of anticipated reliability, for less money then either... go figure.

The X300 is a 7200 RPM consumer class alternative offering a good value proposition if you want the higher performance without paying for a "pro/enterprise" model drive.

The alternatives from Seagate in this size class seem to have poorer reliability trending and/or aren't competitive on price.

6TB Recomendations:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital - Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.95 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - X300 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $151.99 @ Amazon
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 07:57 EDT-0400

Take the Blue for quieter operation or the X300 for better performance.

Don't bother with black/pro/enterprise drives in this size class. They are are priced up near $250, at which point, there are enterprise options in the 10TB size class to pick from for only a few bucks more instead.

8TB recommendations:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital - Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $226.79 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - X300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $203.74 @ OutletPC
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 08:37 EDT-0400

Red for quieter operation. X300 for more performance.

Same rule applies here to Black/Pro/Enterprise options, no point bothering with them in this size class as they are priced too close to 10TB enterprise drives.

Unfortunately, PCP doesn't really have good coverage of the market up in the 10TB and larger sizes. PCP is missing lots of model numbers and listings....

10TB recommendations:

Amazon has a backordered listing for a Toshiba 10TB MD06ACA10T for $260. Seems a bit too good to be true, but might be worth a try.

Newegg has a listing for a Seagate 10TB ST10000NM0016 for $295.

Newegg has a listing for a Seagate 10TB ST10000NM0086 for $290.

12TB recommendations:

Newegg has a listing for a 12TB Seagate ST12000NM0007 Exos X12 for $344.

Newegg also has a listing for a 12TB Seagate ST12000NM0008 Exos X14 for $378.

Amazon has a listing for a 12TB Toshiba MG07ACA12TE for $400. I have one of these in a work computer, I think it was $380 when I bought it. Nice drive. Keep an eye out for these at lower prices.

14TB recommendations:

Amazon has a listing for a Toshiba 14TB MG07ACA14TE for $480. The cost/GB goes up a bit for these maximum density products. Probably not what you're looking for but interesting nonetheless.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

because i am interesting to buy one 8TB and one 6Tb
is it worth to buy Western Digital DC HC320 8TB ? because they saying that Western Digital DC HC320 8TB is the upgrade from gold edition

also tell me something why you dont recomended baracuda pro 8TB and black western 6TB?

these 2 drives arent good in performance and speed and realibity? and quality>?

also tell me something the Western Digital DC HC320 8TB is faster and better from baraguda pro 8TB and black western 6tb?

look i want to buy one 8tb and 6Tb for home use and for gaming and i am interesting in performance

also tell me something the Toshiba - X300 8 TB 3.5 is faster and better from black 6TB and baracuda pro 8TB?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

is it worth to buy Western Digital DC HC320 8TB ?

At what price?

Please go back and read my response to the 6TB and 8TB recommendations. There's often no point parting with the prices they are getting for enterprise grade (or black/pro) 6-8TB drives when 10-12TB options are often priced so close.... (though amazon has a listing for a nice Seagate enterprise drive today in 8TB size for $236, that's not too bad)

because they saying that Western Digital DC HC320 8TB is the upgrade from gold edition

I'm not under the impression there is any upgrade taking place, just a re-branding of existing drives. Gold or "DC," doesn't matter.

also tell me something why you dont recomended baracuda pro 8TB and black western 6TB?

I already answered that multiple times, I'll repeat: Because they are not price competitive with higher quality and often larger size enterprise grade drives.

these 2 drives arent good in performance and speed and realibity? and quality>?

There's nothing wrong with their speed, reliability, or quality, the thing that is wrong is their price.

6TB:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $218.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $219.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Enterprise 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $236.00 @ Amazon
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 17:25 EDT-0400

Why spend $220 on a 6TB black/pro drive when there's an 8TB enterprise drive for around the same price? Forget about any differences in performance for a moment... simply being larger pretty much ensures that the drive will perform better when loaded with the same amount of data. Bigger performs better with hard drives because when you're using less of the drive, more of your data is condensed around the outer edges of the drive where it is fastest.

8TB:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $272.57 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Enterprise 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $334.99 @ Newegg
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 17:19 EDT-0400

For $60 more than the 8TB "pro" drive, we can have a 12TB enterprise drive that will absolutely perform better and comes with higher reliability ratings. (more MTBF hours, more load cycle rating, more I/O/yr rating, etc). There's no point bothering with the "8TB pro" drive if it's going to be priced up near 10-12TB enterprise drives that are better and bigger. Also no point buying the pro drive when there's an 8TB enterprise drive for less money (shown above).

look i want to buy one 8tb and 6Tb for home use and for gaming and i am interesting in performance

Then buy 7200 RPM non-Archive drives. There's not much difference in performance between hard drives in the same size class UNLESS you drop down to 5400RPM or get into a "shingle" style archive drive. (coincidentally, I'm pretty sure that all archive style drives with the shingle style recording technology are 5400-5900 rpm, so we can avoid those by avoiding low rpm drives).

Assuming equal RPM, diameter, and recording technology, size buys more performance than any other characteristics you can purchase with rotating drives. The best performing 6TB drive with 6TB of data on it, is a 14TB drive with only 6TB of data on it, because the 14TB drive place all 6TB of data in faster outer regions of the disk. (Also, the 14TB drive will almost certainly have higher platter density, so will have higher throughput at equal head positions through the radius).

In other-words, you can waste a lot of time trying to figure out what the fastest 6TB drive is, but that's a pointless endeavor when an enterprise drive in the 8-10TB size can be bought for about the same money that will perform better simply because it is larger.

Jumping straight to helium filled drives in the 10-14TB size range with higher platter density also buys better performance as these tend to have higher density platters.

also tell me something the Toshiba - X300 8 TB 3.5 is faster and better from black 6TB and baracuda pro 8TB?

Performance will be very similar. Price of the X300 will be much lower. It's a better value approach to buying in that size class. The X300 6TB and 8TB drives are the drives I would advise that you buy if value matters to you.

Here's how to buy 6TB and 8TB enterprise drives:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
USE THIS 8TB DRIVE AS YOUR 6TB DRIVE Seagate - Enterprise 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $236.00 @ Amazon
USE THIS 12TB DRIVE AS YOUR 8TB DRIVE Seagate - Enterprise 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $334.99 @ Newegg
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 17:47 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

tell me something please? the https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Ultrastar-HUS728T8TALE6L4-0B36404/dp/B07H4PR6HN#customerReviews is rebraded from https://www.storagereview.com/wd_gold_hdd_review_8tb?

what is the difference between these 2? https://www.storagereview.com/wd_gold_hdd_review_8tb Western Digital 8TB Ultrastar DC HC320 SATA HDD?

also i have one another question if the prizes from baracuda pro 8Tb and westen black 6Tb were in normal prizes would you suggested me to buy them ?

also tell me something the blacks western 6Tb in technically parts like quality , plaaters and etc are better from baracuda pro?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

load cycle rating, more I/O/yr rating, etc)?? platters?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

do you believe that black 6Tb western has good speed, reliability, and quality despite the fact that blacks are cost a lot?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well if you have a lot to store then going 100% SSD can be cost prohibitive compared to mechanical HDDs. For the longest time people would run a SSD+HDD combo to get the best of both worlds. They would have the OS and their programs and their most played games on the SSD and everything else on the HDD. You can get a 480-512GB SSD for a really good price now and that has room for windows and a number of different games and the HDD will be good for all your videos/pictures/music/other bulk files that isn't cost effective to use a SSD for.

Now SSD speed only really plays a large role when loading programs and such as it is basically accessing a ton of smaller files and the 4k random read speeds is what sets it apart from an HDD drastically. HDDs are limited to the fact the read head has to move and the disc needs to rotate to the right spot to grab each file and the SSD has no moving parts. Windows boot time on an SSD can range from like 10 to 25 seconds while HDD boot time is better measured in minutes and also the overall responsiveness of windows is vastly different from both of them.

Files like videos and music for playing them back or looking through pictures will still read plenty fast on an HDD and they can take up a lot of room depending on how much you have. A HDD makes a ton of practical sense for that use. Just remember to backup your important non replaceable files. Backblaze is a nice cheap cloud backup so if you lose all your hardware from a disaster you still won't lose your important files.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

which is better? BarraCuda Pro 6Tb or black western 6Tb? in terms of speed, noices and performance? and failures? and which from these 2 have better controller?

https://www.ebuyer.com/758016-seagate-barracuda-pro-6tb-3-5-hard-drive-at-ebuyer-com-st6000dm004

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B011LVAVEQ

i have one ssd in my computer, i have crucial mx500 2TB

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They both are backed by a 5 year warranty but I am not sure the actual failure rate of both drives but generally you should be fine with either. Generally the warranty is a good show on how confidant the manufacturer is in the mechanical workings of the drive. If all you use the drive for is to save video and watch it later TBH a 5200rpm slower drive wont have any noticeable performance difference. Only if you install games on it and try loading them will the speed really start to matter. Since you have a 2TB SSD then likely all of your games will be on the SSD anyhow so I would get whichever is cheaper if there is a sizable price difference. If they are really close or the same in price then I would get the faster of the 2.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

which is better? BarraCuda Pro 6Tb or black western 6Tb? in terms of speed, noices and performance? this i am asking

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The link you listed showed the WD to be faster than the Seagate so the performance is better. If that even matters depends on the use of the HDD. I don't own both drives but I have had 7200rpm WD and seagate drives in the past but I don't recall either one being an outlier in noise generation compared to any other 7200 rpm drive. If the WD is like 40-50% higher in cost and all you do is store bulk files on it then I would save money and get the cheaper drive but if the price is close or the same I would get the faster one.

Since you have a 2TB SSD I would not really consider installing games on the HDD. Though what do you use your PC for? Is it gaming? Video editing? 3d modeling? Data crunching? Storage server?

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

the pc is for gaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube