add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 dramless or with dram

scoobywrx99

6 months ago

Hi everyone

I have a hp ex900 and a hp ex920. The ex900 is dramless (read speed 2100mbs) and the ex920 has dram (read speed 3200mbs). I want to use one for my boot drive and one for my games. Both are 500gb. I have 2 m.2 slot on my mobo. The second m.2 takes 8 lanes from my gpu but my rx580 only uses 8, so it’s ok. Which one do you guys suggest for the boot and which for games? I’m not really sure which way to go with these.

Thanks

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

I would use the faster drive for the windows boot. Overall responsiveness of the system and boot times would be affected by it but it is likely it would be hard to feel the difference either way. Games you only really notice during loading bars.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. That makes sense.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube