add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need PSU Opinions

theultikirby

1 month ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HK4L8Y

Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I just need a few opinions on if the PSU I selected is going to be enough. This is my first build in a long time. I do not know if I will overclock the CPU, GPU, or RAM yet. I plan to double my RAM in the future, add some fans (120 mm or 140 mm, not sure yet), and a Wi-Fi card. possibly. I want to have enough room for upgrades down the line.

I selected 80+ gold to keep the amount of heat from the PSU down. Should I go with bronze to lower my cost? Your thoughts?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Just to confirm, are you buying from the United States?

If so, then for the same cost or less, you can get a 550W fully modular 80+ gold PSU with quality components.

I recommend you consider: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qYTrxr,sMM323,bkp323,bqVD4D/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am. Yes, thank you for your advise. The one thing that continuously throws me off about the newer power supplies is the 18 + 10 power connections. Am I correct in inferring 24 pins go to the motherboard power and 4 are for the CPU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 18+10pin PSU connector is just for the motherboard 24pin cable. It has 28pins for the PSU socket, and 24pins for the motherboard socket. Some of the pins contain two wires for better voltage regulation, that's why the numbers aren't equal.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Alright, just as I expected. Thank you.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

short answer is yes--24-pin goes to motherboard power (typically located on right side of mobo) ... and separate 4-pin or 8-pin (e.g. 4+4 pin) EPS power is for CPU power (typically located towards top-left corner of the mobo and just to the top-left of the VRMs and CPU).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

550w will be plenty and easily enough for upgrades in the future, I would get the seasonic focus plus listed in thunders link tho.

Saving money with bronze vs gold is often a false economy I think, it depends on exact pricing ofc but a gold will usually pay for the itself (vs a bronze) over its lifetime via a slightly cheaper electricity bill.

What are you using it for? For mainly gaming you don't need more than 16gig tbh but more ram can be useful for other applications.

It's only a few bucks but I would drop the as5, it's ~8 years old now and won't be any better than the paste already on the stock cooler.

AMD are getting ready to launch their next gen cpus, depending on how soon you want to build it might be worth waiting the extra ~2 months to see how they shake out, early leaked benchmarks indicate a good sized performance bump tho I find it hard to swallow the rumored pricing (6 core/12 thread chip that beats the 2700/x for $100... seems unlikely imo).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I will be using this build for content creation, some light gaming, and console streaming. I am going to need to get this build done within the next month. I do not need to latest and greatest at the moment.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A 550 Watt PSU would be more than enough.

The price of that TX550M unit isn't great though.

Switch to a full modular PSU unit from the same manufacturer, for cheaper.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm550x-cp-9020177-na-550w/p/N82E16817139231?Description=CP-9020177&cm_re=CP-9020177-_-17-139-231-_-Product

And actually, i would do it that way...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.89 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.68 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $72.98 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $229.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $84.89 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $63.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $851.41
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $831.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 15:44 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am curious. Why go for a B450 over an X470? What are the differences between the two motherboards? I chose the MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS over the Asus Prime X470-Pro. I wanted to pick a motherboard I could use to upgrade future components with. Sort of future proofing. It is supposed to be supported by Ryzen processors by 2020.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The B450 is also good for the 3000 series is what i've heard as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to pick a motherboard I could use to upgrade future components with. Sort of future proofing. It is supposed to be supported by Ryzen processors by 2020.

It does not make sense to pay more on a X470 board that would not work (most probably) with the processors that AMD has in mind to produce after 2020. And we have already 2019. Don't forget that.

AMD has already stated that the AM4 socket will remain relevant through 2020.

That means, processors after that year may not be compatible with that socket board.

And logically someone that buys an 8 core processor today, should keep it for at least 3 years.

So if you have i mind to do regular CPU upgrades, neither of these chip-set boards are future proof.

Not even the X570 chip-set board.

However if you want to keep that 8 processor for quite some time, the 2700X would do a better job especially in multi core applications as it has the faster boost clocks out of the Box.

And on that matter it doesn't make any difference if you buy a B450 or X470 chip-set board.

On the other hand, if you want a better deal on a board-CPU bundle, i would suggest to wait a couple of months and get a Ryzen 3000 and a X570 board.

Both may come out on July.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-12-core-ryzen-9-3900x-ryzen-7-3800x-4-6-ghz-announced/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My initial mindset was to get the Ryzen 2700 to get me started within budget. I was wanting to research another processor to upgrade to sometime in 2021 as the costs of the 4th generation Ryzen CPUs would be lower then by midyear. These prices fluctuate, so that may not come true.

I see where you are going though. I just didn't think upgrading to the 2700X was worth paying the extra $70. I do need this PC built before the end of June; sort of is my deadline.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh! OK, then the R2700 will do!

Now as you will stick with that processor for quite sometime (i guess), a B450 board would do the same good job as a X470 one.

Of course only if you wanna save some bucks. Otherwise you can get a X470 board. No problem whatsoever.

My initial mindset was to get the Ryzen 2700 to get me started within budget.

Well if you don't mind to get an B450 board that costs less, you can spend the extra money for getting a 2700X instead.

Look at my build above. Of course that's up to you. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. I can wait longer than than mid-2021 to get me a better processor per your advice.

Are there any limiters the B450 motherboards have vs the X470s?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube