add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD for my build: SATA or M2?

josan23

1 month ago

Here is the provisional build I'm working on:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgNC7W

I don't care about the speed of the 3.5", but I want 500Gb of SSD for SO and software mostly. The problem is that I cant see what is better between these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6j448d,LRkj4D/

What would you choose for my build, and why? And, is there any diference between them apart from the way to conect them to MoBo?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

There are 2 types of M.2, Sata based and NVMe based. Sata based NVMe will have the exact same performance as the 2.5" variance of the drive. For example the MX500 2.5" will perform exactly like the mx500 M.2 drive. The only real difference for the SATA m.2 is the fact you don't need to hook up cables to it. NVMe is a faster SSD but you often pay a price premium.

The Intel 600p NVMe M.2 is faster than any of the sata based SSDs as it can run much faster than the limits of the SATA port and is right now great cost per GB. Samsung 970evo/pro NMVe are some of the best performing NVMe M.2. Difference between the evo and pro is write speeds but both have great read speeds. Now it will make windows boot a bit faster and games to load faster but the difference from a sata SSD to NVMe is MUCH smaller than the difference from an HDD to SSD so you can still have a great experience with a SATA based M.2 or 2.5" drive.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The WD Blue M.2 is the same as the WD Blue 2.5, the only difference is the form factor. That WD Blue M.2 is Sata Based. An intel 660p nvme SSD would be faster than both of those.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

At this point I don't know that I would pick a m2 SATA drive. In your case the performance would be identical as they're both SATA drives. NVMe m2 drives the flavor that's faster.

Budget NVMe's are so competitive on price right now and the performance is much better, and even then if you're married to getting this particular SATA drive I guess I'd go for the 2.5" but only because I might want to leave my M2 slots open for an eventual NVMe upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Both the drives should preform exactly the same. The only difference is that the M.2-2280 drive uses M.2 SATA, while the 2.5" drive uses SATA.

The M.2 version will be best if you want less wires in your PC (because you would not be using SATA power and data cables) but the 2.5" version would be best if you want to leave your M.2 slot open (to upgrade to an NVMe drive in the future and keep that SSD).

Generally, I would suggest an M.2 NVMe drive for a new PC, because they are faster then M.2 SATA and 2.5" SATA drives and are only slightly more. For example: Crucial P1 or Intel 660p.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube