add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HDD weird noises

Putz_66

5 months ago

Hi, My recently bought seagate 1TB 7200 HDD is making weird noises when running. It is hard to describe, like a rumbling noise of some sort - the only way I can even remotely describe it would be that it sort of sounds like gently running your nails across a painted wall.

It is definitely the HDD, all of the screws are in correctly and the cables as well. The HDD is brand new off of amazon, so I dont really know what to do. Thanks!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably bearing hiss. Mild bearing hiss is no big deal, more annoying than anything. If it's actually squealing, you have a bad drive, but I've run drives with excruciating bearing squeal for over a year before they went bad.

My experience is that hard drive noise is a crapshoot. I've bought 3-4 drives of the same type in a lot, and one will be noisy and the rest quiet. Even the actuator noise seems to vary by unit.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not really a hiss its definitely more of a grinding noise. Like I said before the best way I can describe it would be like lightly dragging your nails across a painted wall - It's most likely dying so maybe it got bashed on its shipping to my house, I don't know. It still makes an annoying grinding noise whilst I'm idle as well though.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

A HDD makes a spining and grinding noise when writing new data onto it sometimes. But if its making a noise even when idle you probably have a bad hard drive. I'd return it for a new on in that case before it fails.

Also go with WD Blue next time, I have both Seagate and WD and both work fine for me, but if you got burned on Seagate try WD.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for the reply. I unfortunately bought the piece as part of a build that I didn't put together until later, so missed the deadline. Thanks for the response, I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Normally, the computer storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damages or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are numbers of different hard drive clicking sounds with different reasons. Some type of clicking noise are due to software or driver issues, some of them due to hardware issues, and sometimes due to mechanical faults of the hard drive.

Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for clicking noise of a hard drive:

1. The insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive. It mostly happens when you have connected multiple devices (including the HDD) to a single port.
  2. Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues or damage such as a physical shock or trauma.
  3. A hard drive may be failed due to the faulty data cables, or incorrect drivers installed.
  4. A crashed hard drive.

Subsequent fixes people have used to overcome the issue are:

1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not. You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.
  2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. Now, if it does not make any noise, then the data cable might be faulty.
  3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If the problem still persists, then I suggest you to contact the customer support of Amazon and get the replacement done.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube