add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Old X-Fi suddenly stopped working. Is it possible to save it?

codezer0

1 month ago

To keep as short as possible,

So I did a fresh install of Windows to an older PC, getting it to (software-wise) a known stable base. After getting the drivers installed for everything and fiddling with it, I started to notice that I didn't have sound for anything. Device manager showed that drivers were installed, but nothing was playing. Moreover, Windows 10's sound options wouldn't let me choose the speakers. The Creative apps for the X-Fi also gave errors like the card wasn't even installed, let alone detected and plugged in.

Curious, I then go shut down the PC, unplug the sound card, and I see this crud spread over basically all of the output jacks. I don't see any obvious damage or blown/popped/damaged capacitors, so that's one good thing. but I'm wondering what I can do here, because I'd really want to try and save this sound card. Among other things, the onboard for the system in question only outputs stereo, whereas at least this card gives me solid 5.1, and had been with me for a very long time (at least since the X-Fi series launched).

Update

Seems what happened is that the updated install media was based off windows 10 build 1903, and it seems to want to break with the Daniel K modded drivers I've been using with my X-Fi and Audigy sound cards. as is, I find that even on my main PC with an Audigy Rx in it, windows is saying my pc is "not ready for 1903" even though it is more than spec'd for it. I would hope that either creative finally makes a driver update worth a damn, or Daniel is able to update their drivers package to be able to support the new build, since we all know it's only a matter of time before Microsoft forces the issue.

At least in the meantime, I found my old windows 10 USB install media that had the initial release of 10 on it to install. From there, with drivers since installed and behaving correctly, the system itself updated up to 1809 without issue. It's just basically pending for 1903 until hopefully Microsoft itself fixes whatever is causing the hang-up and functional breakdown.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube