add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which laptop for student? Buying for sister.

bbjlfvr

3 months ago

My sister is studying abroad and her laptop (dell) is failing her, occasionally shutting off after 30 - 40 mins. So, I am thinking of buying her a laptop and the key requirements are long battery life + durability + functionality (reliable).

I was reading few articles and some say Lenovo Thinkpad T series is good. We can't afford more than US$1000, would like it if its cheaper.

Please advice which laptop meets above mentioned criteria?

Thank you, much appreciated.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

The Lenovo T-series is among the best laptops you can get for college, and one of my personal favorites. However, it is expensive, and so you'll either want to wait for one of the frequent sales where prices drop by as much as 15%, and also pick up a free coupon by subscribing to their email newsletter.

If you don't want a Lenovo T-series. look for a Dell Inspiron series or one of the cheaper Lenovo Thinkpad options.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Can agree with that, here’s a T580 that might fit your bill (931, down from 1200)

And here’s a cheaper Asus unit (800), if you can’t quite stretch to a grand

https://www.newegg.com/gun-metal-asus-vivobook-s530fn-bh73-mainstream/p/N82E16834235180?Item=N82E16834235180

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

T-series is among the best

9-year old army: It's treason, then.

@OP: I would recommend that you consult with your sister before making the purchase. Everyone may have their own idiosyncrasies with regards to laptops.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So the option here is between dell inspiron or cheap lenovo?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the secondary option. The first option is to wait for a sale. Lenovo does sales so often, you just wait a week and there will be a new sale. I'd suggest waiting for the Back to School sale, which occurs in June and July for a week or two. That's got rather high discounts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube