add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Interesting build in vintage Packard Bell case

Sly_McBean

5 months ago

Hello all; longtime lurker, first-time poster here. I’m embarking on an interesting project. I have my childhood Packard Bell 286 computer and I’m putting modern components in it. I’m posting from my phone right now so I can share pictures and more details later... Basically right now I just want to ask about one of the most challenging aspects of this build, which is getting the power switch on the case to work with a modern PSU/motherboard.

When I opened the case, I was amused to find that the power switch on the front of the case actuated a long push-rod that reached all the way back to the PSU, where it pushed a spring-loaded switch attached to the PSU itself. Obviously, this is quite a bit different than it works today. I took apart the PSU and removed the switch, which has four wires (two in, two out) attached to it. My understanding is this is a high voltage circuit (120V, directly from the wall) that is interrupted or completed depending on the position of the switch.

My question is, how can I adapt this switch to work with a modern PSU/motherboard? It’s important to me that I use the original switch as it has a certain tactile feel that I want to preserve.

I found this article which was very informative in explaining the old way and current way PSUs power a motherboard.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,review-32338-6.html

Thank you all for any help you can provide!!

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube