add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NVMe m.2 ? Is it stand alone or a new pathway?

ZakJordan

1 month ago

Ok. Upgrading to NVMe m.2 970 evo. My question is this, is the 970 eco a stand alone ssd memory all by itself, or does it just allow for faster read/write speeds to my current ssd by utilising pcie slots?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 970 evo is it's own SSD, and doesn't enhance existing SSDs. It won't make a SATA SSD go faster than what SATA allows, and most SATA drives are pretty close to that wall already.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's an actual SSD. You're thinking of Intel Optane Memory, which is pretty useless..

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Optane isn't useless but it is massively overpriced. Fuzedrive does the exact same thing for free(if you have a 400 series board) or for $20-$60 and you can use any SSD. You can get like 8 times the cache size for the same price compared to Optane .

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Well, it was pretty useless in its first iteration. First of all, it only works with Intel (making it totally useless to me), secondly, it only worked if you were using a HDD as your boot drive. Yet you had to have an M.2 slot available. So.. yeah.. :P

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

There are a bunch of issues with StoreMI (you need a separate SSD, you can't just partition off part of your SSD, you need an old SSD lying around). Even so, it makes a lot more sense now to get a big SSD than to use either caching method (unless you want to use >>1TB cached storage).

But I suspect the real advantage of Optane is for I/O or RAM heavy use and being used as a swapdrive. When DDR4 was overpriced, it almost worked in cheap 4G systems, and also worked well in big heavy systems that wanted more than 64GB RAM.

I'm interested in what Micron might ship for a DDR4 slot, although it probably will take a lot of system standardization to really make it work (all of Intel's solutions seem goofy).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can partition part of your SSD, its what I'm doing right now. A SSD would be better but if you need a lot of fast storage for cheap using the SSD cache is the way to do it. A 2 or 4TB SSD would cost insane amounts of money but a 120-240GB SSD plus a 2-4TB HDD would be a much cheaper option than it. It is especially good for budget builds where you can't get a large SSD but want SSD like load times for frequently used stuff.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Excellent. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the 970 evo and see how it goes. Any suggest changes to this build before I go for it? Open to all suggestions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZakJordan/saved/kzt3t6

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I strongly recommend a better HDD. This one is better (don't buy from Newegg though): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Make sure you get the new Evo PLUS version. It's faster AND cheaper..

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zxw7YJ/samsung-970-evo-plus-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s1t0bw

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

970 evo is a standalone, from my understanding, the only device that speeds up your current devices are optane memory modules

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

You can use SSDs to boost other drives in your system using a program like PrimoCache. That being said the only real gains is if you are boosting an HDD as boosting an already fast SSD with another SSD is 100% pointless and won't really add any speed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube