add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

500GB NVME M.2 SSD or 1TB SATA M.2 SSD?

HeatAced

1 month ago

Hi! Just a little introduction, im planning to start my first ever PC build to replace my laptop. And currently, im having trouble deciding which storage setup that i should use. Here's the two options that im currently interested in :

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 [500GB] or Western Digital Blue SATA M.2 [1TB]

The First option (Samsung 970 Evo Plus) has a sequential read speed of up to 3,500 MB/sec, and a sequential write speed of max. 3,300 MB/sec (According to the spec list), with the capacity of 500GB.

The Second option (WD Digital Blue M.2) has a sequential read speed of up to 545 MB/sec, and a sequential write speed of up to 525 MB/sec (According to their spec list), with the capacity of 1TB.

Which one should I get?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

You don't say what you're using the computer for. Unless you are doing operations that actually need high sequential speeds, I'd go for space over speed. If it's basically a gamer, take the 1TB.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Im planning to do some heavy video editing and some gaming on it. I've made up my mind, im going for my first option. Thx for the advice!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Where are You buying from since Both are generally overpriced these days and You can get just as good cheaper.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I live in Indonesia, which means everything will be alot more expensive (Cost +/-30% More), so, yeah.

I do actually have an alternative option, which is the Tammuz NMVe M.2 SSD [512GB], has a read speed of 2150 MB/s and write speed of 1739 MB/s, it also cost the same amount as the WD one here in Indonesia (http://tammuz.co.kr/post/458). Should i get that one instead?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would go for the 1tb myself.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any other recommendation?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would second the 1TB. maybe look at an Intel 660p or Crucial P1 1TB. They're pretty close they're midrange NVMe, faster than SATA not as fast as the 970, but in the US they're pretty close in price to a lot of 1TB SATA drives.

Overall having more SSD space is going to be better than having less/but faster. And for most users the performance difference between NVMe and SATA SSDs is pretty negligible. I certainly don't notice much different between running an 850 evo at work, and a 970 evo at home. And I didn't much difference between an 850 evo at home and upgraded to a 970 evo.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Those 1TB SSD's are a bit pricey, they're 2x my budget for storage. I think i'll go with my first option (parent's advice). Thx for the recommendation tho!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube