add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What storage can I get for this motherboard? Please advice

bbjlfvr

3 months ago

Hi guys,

I have MSI - Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and currently using 2 drives:

a) Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive b) PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

I am trying to buy additional storage, preferably Hard drive, to add some extra storage for my stuffs. Which storage would you recommend that are compatible with my other storage & mobo (not blocking ways of plug etc.) Also, I am looking for something not fancy/expensive, but reliable does the job well - just for storage purpose... I know SSD is much better and faster choice if you compare it with HDD. If it's reasonable or some price I prefer that faster. Additionally, are 'm2s faster than SSD?

Please help me.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Budget/Country?

What is the current build?

How big on a HDD are you looking at?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

How much storage would you need?

And yes, the M.2 interface blows SATA 6GB/s out of the water most of the time.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Preferably around 3 TB would be good? I don't think I have extra SATA cable that came with Mobo... do I need to purchase one?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Most I believe would come with it, but I'd recommend just verifying what comes with it before purchase

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the best SATA HDD for me? Any recommendation?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

m.2 is a form factor, not an interface. You can get m.2 SSD's in either NVMe or SATA. NVMe is faster, and most of the time you won't be able to tell. SATA still has a price advantage but it's been diminishing recently.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube