add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PCI 4.0: Do I really need it?

vwcrusher

5 months ago

Hi All, while thinking through what my new system might contain, in particular R7-3700X or 3800X, I began wondering if I really even need a faster PCI buss. What benefit will be derived? Will I actually notice the speed difference? Cost benefit? I have read that the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drives are fast and reliable. Should I wait for drives that support 4.0?

To put the above in context will the above be a good fit for Lightroom and some gaming. I am not terribly budget constrained but I prefer long term value. One constraint is my monitor: 1440p 60Hz.

Thanks for the perspective....

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

First you would have to find a convincing case where you could easily tell the difference between NVMe (PCIe3.x) speed and SATA: I've never found the performance delta conclusive, but the cost vs. SATA is starting to disappear making the issue moot (for SATA vs. NVMe).

There have been rave reviews (elsewhere) over the Inland Premium 1TB PCIe3 drive (not the Inland Pro, that only has two PCIe lanes). This is a Microcenter "house brand" that runs less than $100. I'd expect it to provide nearly all the performance you can detect with little (if any) premium over SATA.

1440p@60Hz sounds like what AMD is targeting with Vega. You might at least wait a couple of days and see what shakes out of E3. Both Navi or "Super Turing" would probably do that well.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The PCIe bus version will have very little effect on graphics. It may enable faster storage transfers, but realistically transfer time is not the long pole in the tent for most operations any more.

I personally think that the main benefit of PCIe 4.0 will be a) faster transfers for extreme large files (many gigabytes) and b) more bandwidth to the chipset to enable more simultaneous SATA / USB / etc port activity. That's not a typical "gamer" load and I don't expect most computing usage to see PCIe 4.0 as a big thing.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comments guys. It sounds like for the upcoming CPU decision PCI version will not be a factor.

If that is the case from what I have read, for my specific requirements/desires the boot drive (500GB) either a SATA or PCI drive - performance difference virtually undetectable. If that is the case the Samsung is ~$115 today...reasonable. A similar SATA drive is just a few $$s less....no?

For the 1TB data drive a bit more complex as loading and moving around within LR requires lots of data transfers. Typical file size is ~30MB. Even though the Samsung is fairly expensive (~$240) it may make sense to invest in this drive...yes?

Again, thanks

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Need? No. It generally takes a while before the new revision of a slot is utilized in such a way that need becomes thing. It can be nice to have. But notice a performance difference? Only if you have hardware that critically depends on it, and even then maybe only in benchmarks.

I mean think of all your USB device. Even in 2019, how many really need USB 3.0? It's nice for USB thumb drives and HDDs, but outside a few things most peripherals just don't need that much bandwidth.

Or you can look back at the introduction of PCI-E 3.0 and see all the same questions being asked.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comment....I guess when I said 'need,' I was thinking: will it have a noticeable or measurable effect on my workflow or game playing?

From your and others comments it seems that the initial feeling is ... no. Of course lets see what actually comes out in some benchmark testing....

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I have read to saturate pcie 3 you need to have several m.2 drives in raid for the PCIe to become the bottle neck. So most of us do not yet "need" 4.

I am still glad to see it coming, in the upcoming years ideally we want to get all the performance of the components not be limited by the interconnecting data bus so it is natural and normal for that bus to just not get in the way.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube