add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

StoreMI of (NVMe or SATA SSD) + HDD

vokial

5 months ago

As current prices aren't allowing me to get a 1TB SATA SSD while sticking within my budget, I'm eyeballing using StoreMI to resolve things. Has anyone used it and can give an idea of how much of a difference using an NVMe drive vs a SATA drive is?

Given my browsing today and seeing answers of "if you're just gaming / web browsing, the increased speeds of any NVMe drive are going to be fairly minor over a SATA SSD," I'd expect the same in this use case, of StoreMI with an HDD, but figure I'd reach out for info from others.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you have a parts list or or budget idea on what a 1TB SSD should be?

For reference, the cheapest 960GB is $84 right now (SU635, with the Team GX2 $6 more for 1000GB).....

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'll be. Not sure when I got my prices for the 1TB SSD wrong then. SU635 is the same price as my current 250GB NVMe + 1TB HDD solution. Even the Intel 660p 1TB isn't much more.

Guess I don't really need the answer to my original question, as the price is right to get a 1TB SSD and call it a day.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

One thing, StoreMI free version only allows up to 128gb SSDs.
I personally think StoreMI doesn't improve speeds that much, because when I used it, hard drive functions fell from 120MB/s to 80MB/s, and SSD functions went from 500MB/s down to 2 or 300MB/s. I would just move the files between them manually.
One alternative would be to get a single 240gb SSD for boot/files and another 120gb SSD and a HDD for StoreMI. With prices like this, I think it's possible.

I think the hard drive would be a huge bottleneck and StoreMI would be a waste of a NVMe drive. It would be better to use the drives separately in my opinion.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks like the limit is 256GB for the StoreMi that comes with 400 level motherboards. 128GB is for the cheapest one sold for non-400 AMD systems. https://www.amd.com/system/files/2018-04/AMD-StoreMI-Users-Guide.pdf

While I doubt that 256GB would come close to "bottlenecking" the drive (you won't be accessing the rest of the data that often: caches have been proven to work across all levels of computing), a bigger danger is corruption of a StoreMI boot drive (see: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/318758-5400-rpm-hard-drive-2tb

I'd also go straight to the 4T drives if you want a HDD. Granted, that sounds like it will blow your budget (especially if you need a 512G SSD + 4T drive, go with a 1TB drive instead) - check Alan M. Systems long post in this thread for examples: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/319006-what-do-you-guys-think-about-the-new-barracuda-pro-should-i-get-it-instead-of-the-wd-black

Of course the list below is still more than a 1TB SSD, and drops to a 3TB HDD as well. The drive is that size to allow both a boot and StoreMI drive (see my link to the 5200rpm drive discussion). I'd recommend either sticking with pure SSD or going with the below with the largest HDD you can afford (hint: "shucking" the drive from a holiday-priced 10GB easystore at Best Buy nets you 10TB by ~$170...).

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Inland - Professional 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.35 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $101.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-13 10:26 EDT-0400
  • Replace "Inland Pro" with "Inland Premium" - for some reason pcpartpicker doesn't include the 4x PCIe drive and only lists the slower 2x PCIe one.
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing is, drives can't be partitioned for StoreMI (provided that's what you had in mind). I have tried it and failed. Unless you wanted to boot from the StoreMI, that would work.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That makes it pretty pointless then. Of course, I have a 256G drive that won't be needed for a new build (that will probably have a 1TB NVMe drive), but I'd rather have a partition of a large fast drive. And it won't help at all for a build for my father (who can't store anything outside the desktop even though he's owned a computer since 1980).

I liked StoreMI when it came out, but it doesn't seem to be keeping up with the explosion of SSD sizes.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

cheezmeister's idea in motion (set to one store for ease):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Crucial - BX500 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $19.95 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $28.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.61 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $97.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 20:05 EDT-0400
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone, there's a fair amount of new info and food for thought, such as I hadn't known different motherboards handled different sizes of hard drive for StoreMI.

I'll be keeping my eyes out for sales on quality SSDs and probably just stick with them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube