add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is the EVGA br 500w reliable?

Bryson09215

1 month ago

I am new to pc building and am trying to get a psu that is at least 400w and not too expensive. I came across the EVGA br 500w, and would like to know if it is safe and reliable. Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bryson09215/saved/#view=3rLskL

Any pointers or recommendations are appreciated!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Haven’t seen much in the way of reviews for that unit, so I’d probably get this instead

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

From what we've seen of the unit in photos, I think the BR is OK. Unfortunately there haven't been any good teardown reviews, at least none I know about.

Your build is very low power draw compared to most, and I wouldn't be afraid of putting a BR into it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A unit with no reviews and a 30°C temperature rating? Probably crap.

like ImperiousBattlestar said the cx550 from corsair is a good psu.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The only downside is, it's rated at 30°C and it has a sleeve bearing fan.

The first one is very common for a low end unit, but that doesn't apply to the fan. EVGA could go with a better fan.

However that's a cheap unit, so yeah a better fan would raise the price most probably.

On the bright side, it uses DC-DC converters on the minor rails, and has all available safety features like...

Over Current Protection

Short Circuit Protection

Over Temperature Protection

Over Power Protection

Over Voltage Protection

Under Voltage Protection

So there are way worse PSU units out there, so that doesn't make it automatically a crap PSU. :-P

But yeah, a CXM or even CX unit is the better choice. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

True true. Probably have to high standards when talking about psu's ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube