add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion/Suggetions

PhdHigh

5 months ago

I was wanting to upgrade my storage to something faster than what I currently have. I have a 120gb Sandisk SSD and a 1tb WD Blue HDD. I was looking at getting a CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 480GB NVMe for my boot up and some of my more demanding games and a Seagate Firecuda 2tb for mass storage and my games that don't pull from the storage as much during gameplay. My budget for both is roughly $150 bucks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have/had the same storage set up as you. What I did was add 500GB SSD for uses as a game drive, keeping Windows on the 120GB SSD. So right now for $150 you could pick up a 1TB SSD for a game drive, and keep your other drives for Windows and mass storage.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That is one option but another option is just to buy a single 1TB SSD and use that for the game library. You will also be able to maintain both of your old drives too but have 1tb dedicated ssd to install all your games on.

If you have an NVMe compatible M.2 slot on your motherboard the Intel 660p M.2 drives are super cheap per GB even when compared to basic SATA based SSDs and is faster than any sata based SSD. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/9nhKHx,7MQG3C/

Now if you still want a main SSD and an accelerated HDD like a firecuda SSHD then might I also suggest another option that is like that but better. There is a program called PrimoCache and it allows you to use any SSD as a cache for any HDD. Basically with your old 120gb SSD and 1tb HDD you can make them run like the firecuda SSHD but it is better. You will have 120GB cache instead of only 8GB and since both drives are connected by different SATA cables they do not compete for bandwidth when accessing both portions.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What I wanted was to get something like the Corsair MP510 to use as a boot and all of my boot programs, and also have more open world games such as World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and other games that have a longer load time. Then I was thinking about finding a cheap 1tb ssd to use as the rest of my game storage. Then use my current HDD as a storage for anything else. I wanted to try to eliminate cables from my motherboard for a cleaner look.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps something like this then?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage ADATA - SU655 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $144.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-14 14:50 EDT-0400

A 960GB MP510 restricts you then to a 128GB SSD afterward.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What I am going to do is get the Corsair MP510 960GB for now, then get another drive later one. I will just stick with my 1tb hdd till then. Might even get another cheaper 1tb m.2 later one to replace it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah then you can boot off your MP510 960GB SSD and have lots of room for those games you listed. As you are keeping your old drives then why not use the 120GB SSD as the cache for your 1TB HDD you already have as an extra games drive for your less played games? PrimoCache will do that and if you ever want to replace that 1TB HDD for a larger one later on then the same thing again 120GB SSD cache for the HDD even if you get a 6-12TB HDD.

I would recommend PrimoCache over StoreMI as it is cheaper (half the price and can get 60 day free trial) and it copies the cached data from the HDD instead of actually moving it. Because of that second point I have heard of data corruption issues before with StoreMI but due to how PrimoCache works it makes it more reliable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube