add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Microsoft Word or Google Docs

samadams12pack

1 month ago

So I’ve been debating getting Office Home & Student 2019 primarily for Word (and maybe Excel) to write since recently I realized that all of the writing and note-taking that I do besides Fade In and Scrivener is all done through Google Docs and Google Drive. Now I’m just trying to decide if it’s worth the money. What do you all think?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i have a copy of Office pro 2010 that i plan to keep using as long as i can. i think it's worth the money if you get daily use out of it, because Office has more functionality than google docs, but you have to determine if you'll actually use that functionality

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes: If you plan on using it, such as for schoolwork where everything is in MS programs and you don't feel like ensuring compatibility; If you get a discount on the standalone licensed version that you don't have to pay for again

No: If you are comfortable using LibreOffice when needed and saving things in .doc for example; If you already do all your work through Google Apps; or if you don't want to spend the money/are paying full retail price.

I'd lean toward No.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft word has more features on the home tab than docs does in total. Microsoft word till the end of time.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

With the exception of Powerpoint, I prefer Office Libre. It is free open source software.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

do you have a .edu email address? You can get office 365 for free if you do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube