add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the difference between the WD Colours – Blue, Red, Black, Green, Purple?

blujeans

1 month ago

What is the difference between the WD Colours – Blue, Red, Black, Green, Purple?

from all these 4 which can be used for gaming? what filmware has the red, blue, black and purple?

the filmware of red, blue, and purple? and black is for gaming?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This video may help explain: https://youtu.be/GAxOXZPeQbE

Technically any one of them "can" be used for gaming. I would recommend a bare minimum of 7200 rpm if you must install games on a HDD but SSDs mean lower load times.

Blue is the general PC HDD, HDDs are usually 5400rpm and the SSD is a sata based version that is actually a decent performer for the SATA format.

Black is the 7200 rpm HDD and SSD is the NVMe style which is a faster style SSD. Seagate's version of this is the barracuda drives.

Red specializes in use with RAID. RAID is often used when making home NAS servers. Seagates version of this is the ironwolf drives.

Green is disappearing from WD and generally doesn't even need to be looked at today. Green used to be the low power 5400rpm HDDs many years ago when blues were still 7200rpm but blue seems to have taken this spot since WD made them 5400rpm now. As for the SSD many much cheaper SSDs out perform the Green version SSD as the IOPS rating on the green drives is like 25k IOPS when most competing SSDs are 80k-100k IOPS. The WD blue SSD is 100k IOPS. I would avoid green altogether these days.

Purple is a type of HDD that is often used when setting up surveillance systems with constant writing to the drive. Was made to be more durable for that kind of load but not a consideration if looking for a game drive. Seagates version of this drive is the skyhawk drive.

Gold is more for enterprise markets. There are a few brands that have enterprise drives but they are often just called enterprise.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

from all these 4? Blue, Red, Black, Green, Purple? so the best are the black drives and blue drives for gaming and destop use?

also i have another question the blacks drives are power hungry and have big noices and heats?? is it true?

also what is the difference between baracuda pro 8TB https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST8000DM005/dp/B01LOOJBNW against western blacks 6TB? https://www.amazon.com/Black-6TB-Performance-Hard-Drive/dp/B0792GSD6N which from all these 2 is better in performance, speed and etc? and reability? and less failures?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Well 7200 RPM drives do generate more heat than 5400rpm drives due to having a more powerful motor in it but generally that isn't a worry if the drive is in an area that gets at least some airflow. As for HDD failures keep in mind anything mechanical always has the chance to fail and all HDDs will fail eventually. You could buy the most reliable drive on the market and be unlucky to have it fail 3 months into owning it or it can last 5-7 years without issue. Also modern HDDs do not make as much noise now as they used to but the slower drives tend to make a bit less noise.

Also for gaming the speed of the drive only affects the loading bars of games, your storage choice does not affect the FPS you get in game. As I am SSD spoiled I would aim for a decent SSD to install my games on such as these drives here and they will outperform any HDD on the market by leaps and bounds. SSDs also have no moving parts but they have a downfall where you can only write to them so much before they fail. Sure that sounds like a bad thing but keep in mind the average PC user would normally take 10-15 years to reach that limit so generally they will outlast any HDD. Also a 1TB volume is generally enough for most gamers but there are a few who have MASSIVE steam libraries and such and wants to have ALL games installed.

I do recommend to use a SSD as your boot drive but if you got like 5+TB of games all SSD storage becomes too costly. This is where I recommend a 7200 RPM HDD but there are tricks to accelerate them to be even faster for game loading times. Seagate as a hybrid drive known as the firecuda line but they have some strict limitations but the idea of using a SSD type memory as a cache to store your most often accessed files to help reduce the bottleneck of the HDD itself is a great idea. With a program called PrimoCache you can get a 7200 RPM high capacity HDD and pair it with even a 250gb super cheap SSD and that program will use the SSD to cache the HDD achieving the same effect. You will then be able to cache 250gb instead of the 8gb cap on the firecuda drive.

If you are storing bulk files like pictures, music, videos, etc then you do not need to worry about the speed of the HDD too much and a 5400rpm HDD would be ample for that. Sure you may get about 100mb/s transfer rates instead of 150mb/s on the 7200 rpm drive but when playing a movie you may only really need 5-10 mb/s at most. You also don't need to worry about "accelerating" a drive for this kind of use either.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

also what is the difference between baracuda pro 8TB https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST8000DM005/dp/B01LOOJBNW against western blacks 6TB? https://www.amazon.com/Black-6TB-Performance-Hard-Drive/dp/B0792GSD6N which from all these 2 is better in performance, speed and etc? and reability? and less failures?

some people claim that baracuda pro are faster from black western, and some another claim that blacks are faster from baracuda pros

technicaly which is better? from these 2? baracuda pro 8TB or black 6TB? in plutters? and technology and etc??

also because i dont know.. how i can use the PrimoCache in my hardisks??

also this PrimoCache does effect the speed of my ssds or cause another problems?

are there guides for how i can use the primocashe?

also this primocashe can it be used in black western and baracuda pro drives?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

also this primocashe do i have to buy it? because in the internet i have found only the trial version

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Yeah Primocache costs like 30 bucks for a single PC. I just downloaded the trial version myself and it seems rather easy to use.

• Step 1 - Install program and reboot PC
  • Step 2 - Hit "Manage level-2 Storage" on the top and in the new window hit "Create Level-2 Storage", that will allow you to select your SSD that you plan on using as a cache. It will also format it so dont have anything on said SSD.
  • Step 3 - Hit "Create new cache disk" at the top, select the drives you want to boost and hit next.
  • Step 4 - Level 1 cache is using system ram as a cache and if you dont want it taking system ram set "OS Managed Memory" to 0. Under Level-2 Cache your SSD that you set as level 2 should be listed there. Leave everything else on default settings and hit start.

Then you are done and you are boosting the speed of your HDDs using a SSD. when selecting drives to cache you can cache multiple HDDs with a single SSD too.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Those are just competing HDDs but of course the 8TB has more storage than the 6TB. They both have 5 year warranties so they both "should" be reliable drives but remember what I said about mechanical devices previously. Just remember to backup any important data regularly.

also this PrimoCache does effect the speed of my ssds or cause another problems?

PrimoCache makes the ssd invisible so you can't use it for anything else. If you don't want it to use the whole SSD you can partition it and set the cache partition size to how you please and use that to cache. I will link an example of how it looks for me on my PC.

With PrimoCache I set "Disk 2" listed in disk management as the cache drive and as you can see it does not have a drive letter and does not show up in file explorer. However in Primocache I set one of my HDDs Disk 1 which shows up and my E: drive to be boosted by that SSD. In Steam I have a game folder on that HDD so if I load a game from that HDD it gets cached on the SSD portion to boost the speed next time I play the game. It will cache whatever you use the most on the SSD so you can get SSD speeds on what you use most.

If you get yourself a 480GB SSD and a 6TB HDD you can partition your SSD to have 275GB for windows and programs while setting the rest into another partition to use as PrimoCache cache. Sure if you access the HDD and it pulls from cache on the SSD it does take bandwidth from the main SSD but people don't usually draw from multiple drives at once in a home setting so that doesn't matter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube