add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Below or above GPU Mounting

SpartyTech

5 months ago

Asrock extreme4 z370 motherboard Msi gaming x gtx 1080 GPU - Does not exceed 70 degrees Celsius in any daily use that i have ever seen. I can either install the m.2 ssd just above the gpu backplate or further below the gpu above the PSU shroud under the GPU Fans which is best? The ssd will only be running windows 10, steam etc... but not actual games.I

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say that it doesn't matter

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

someone was telling me the m.2 slot above the GPU backplate would cause thermal throttling sooner thats all but thx

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I highly doubt it will, but I guess if the m.2 is really close to the gpu and the gpu get really hot it could potentially happen.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't worry about it though m.2's doesn't need to stay that cool

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

so under gpu fans will be alright?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Both will be fine

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

"someone" is agonizing over micromanaging inane details and technicalities and has lost touch with practical reality.

The first problem is, for most users, they're not hitting their NVMe's hard enough to ever worry about throttling. Really, what's the most data intensive thing you do? And having the NVMe operating at optimal performance is absolutely critical to the success of that task?

Second, so your NVMe throttles... what does that actually mean to you? I mean it sounds bad, but what are the actual performance consequences of the NVMe throttling?

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/samsung-970-evo-2tb-m2-nvme-pcie-solid-state-drive/thermal-throttling-and-final-thoughts.html

In this example, even when throttled the drive is still way faster than an HDD or a SATA SSD at peak SATA performance. And as far as most use is concerned a throttled NVMe is fast enough that the user literally won't notice a difference in most cases (outside of hand wringing over benchmarks). It would be a temporary situation, throttling is a nice feature, not necessarily a symptom of a major problem to manage. And the only problem is the user getting worked up over a relative non-issue. The belief that if the drive isn't absolutely always operating at 100% performance that that is a major problem to manage.

When you put the drive under high load it's going to generate much much more heat than what the GPU can do to affect it. I mean for me this is akin to worrying about the (additional) drain on your car battery from turning your radio up really loud. You might be able to argue a technicality, but practically it's silly to worry about.

And finally I'm running two NVMe's and a 1080 ti, there's zero issue in doing so. The NVMe's don't cause the GPU to overheat, and so far as I've noticed I haven't had performance issues with the NVMe's under any situation.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

SSDs are not adversely affected by temperature, drops/falls or magnetic fields as they contain no moving parts. Consult your mobo's manual for the recommended primary m.2 drive slot. You can also make use of both m.2 slots by adding another drive on your motherboard. Enter the BIOS and select the secondary drive slot to operate at full speed for an NVMe m.2 device -- the default setting is half speed. Remember that this will also disable some SATA ports, as the PCIE resources are shared.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube