add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Full vs OEM Windows

Wolfyyyyy

5 months ago

Is it worth buying the Full version of Windows 10 if I plan on upgrading my PC in the next 3-4 years? Why or why not?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If you plan on reusing the license, then yes., Full version makes better long term sense.

For example I bought a Full Windows 7 License in 2009 on a Core2 Q6600, in 2013 no issues in migrating it to an i5 3570. Then I took the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and in 2018 I migrated that same license to an i7 8700k.

So ten years and three systems later the full version of Windows is certainly cheaper than three OEM licenses... and at the rate things are going I might end up using it on a 4th system.

If you're always going to buy a new license for a new machine then OEM might be the way to go.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I was just making sure that I'd be able to upgrade to a new version when Windows 10 becomes obsolete! Looks like I'll be buying the full version

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well upgrades are a different topic and MS has had multiple upgrade schemes over the years. And I don't think there's any stated guarantees that oem or full Windows 10 will necessarily have a free upgrade option. I believe they did it with Windows 10 because 7 was so popular (and they wanted people to move on) and 8 was such a bomb. They could do something similar with the next version, but at any rate the benefit of the full license is being able to migrate from one system to another without needing a new license. And at least this time around, upgrading to Windows 10 (for free) from Windows 7/8 meant your Windows 10 license inherited from the previous license. So if it was OEM you still wouldn't be able to migrate it to a new system generally. That's where the value lies in Full version IMO, license migration.

That all being said I choose to be optimistic about MS has in store for the next version and the upgrade process. Although I hardly expect them to allow me to use a license I bought in 2009 in perpetuity, but who knows. People who buy Win10 directly over a free upgrade might have a free upgrade option, where us with older original licenses might need to buy an upgrade. Just a couple of guesses.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, since it may still be windows 10 still.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Full retail version because you can transfer a licence key to another PC if you wish to upgrade/replace motherboard. OEM restricts use to only the initial machine it was first installed to. Why pay for something twice if you somehow needed to replace or upgrade components sooner than anticipated?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go oem. the differences arent that big and windows isnt that expensive

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 5 months ago
  • 3 points

The sale of those keys violate Microsoft ToS, and the keys may be unexpectedly disabled. Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying these keys as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube