add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Slytherpuff
  • 8 months ago

Do I really have to pay for an operating system and why are they so expensive? Is there a way to get one for a cheap price

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Do I really have to pay for an operating system

Nope! You're free to install one of the many flavors of Linux at any time!

why are they so expensive?

Because Microsoft likes your money.

If you are a higher ed student, you might be able to get Windows through your school. Many institutions offer software programs to students. I got my copy of Windows 8 (which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade window) this way, because I was taking some courses.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

To be fair, programming an OS is one of the more difficult things to do in software development. And even linux distributions are always begging for donations cause of how much effort it takes.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

No doubt. I was just being cheeky with my answer.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 8 months ago
  • 4 points

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube