add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Master-Zixx
  • 7 months ago

MY CURRENT BUILD

Type Item
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage Samsung 840 Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case Corsair Crystal 280X RGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm finally starting to feel like I am in need of an upgrade. My goal is to be able to play ES6 (tba) on High 1440p. Currently, my monitor setup is dual 24" 1080p, the main display being TN,144Hz G-Sync and the secondary mainly for multi-tasking. So my question is a little two fold.

I'm just not sure what the best way to go about it would be. I don't really want to spend more than £1000 (less would be nicer) for the PC itself, and I'm really not sure about monitor choice either, but I will leave that to another post.

So. Here's what I've considered as a logical choice of core components: R5 3600, MSI B450M Mortar, RX 5700XT w/ After-market cooler. With a 2nd hand i7-7700K costing more than a new cpu/mobo/ram combo, that didn't seem like the right choice.

Where I am unsure is whether I could keep the 2133Mhz ram and see if I can OC it to 3000mhz or to sell and put that money towards a faster kit. Also, I am starting a computer programming degree in September, would 16GB be enough or would I need to consider upgrading to 32GB for the course?

Also, which would be better do you think the stock cooler or my Cryorig C7, would I be able to get a marginal OC out of either of these (4.0Ghz?), especially since I have never OC'ed before. And should I invest in 2 more case fans for the top. I only have the default front intake right now.

Lastly, is my PSU enough or would that need an upgrade as well?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I would upgrade your GPU first, as that will give you the most performance boost.

No, get Ballistix LT 3200MHz RAM and either OC to 3600Mhz or tighten timings.

Your PSU is good.

A good 1440p 144Hz monitor for gaming is the S2719DGF, it doesn’t have the best colour but more rounded options cost significantly more.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube