add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing 2080 Super into second PCI-E x16 Slot on Asus Prime X570-P ATX AM$

ElCidBuck

3 months ago

I have a Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600x cpu that takes up a lot more space than I considered. As such it partially blocks access to the first PCI-E x16 slot. I had to resort to installing my GPU into the second PCI-E x16 slot. Will this cause issues with performance?

UPDATE: Manual states there will be performance issues. Any way to bypass this or will I have to revert back to the stock cooler that came with Ryzen 5 3600x?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of electrical slot is the second x16 spot

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The first is a PCIe 4.0/3.0 x16_1 Slot The second is a PCIe 4.0 x16_2 Slot

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is the parts list. Just realized you were the one that helped me there too!

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/325473-first-time-builder-sub-2000-budget

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

There shouldn't be an issue

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The second x16 slot is wired as x4 from the chipset so the 2080S is only going to be connected by a 3.0x4 connection not a x16.

Even if it was x8 the chipset connection would downgrade it to x4 when communicating to the CPU.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Manual states there will be performance issues.

The second slot is wired as PCIe 4.0x4 which a 2080S will only be able to use at 3.0x4 and is also wired from the chipset so it also shares bandwidth with everything routed through the chipset, so any Sata drives secondary M.2, USB.

I would look into a different cooler.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I put the stock cooler back on that came with the Ryzen cpu?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes dropping to a x4 connection will impact end performance on even lower level cards.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a recommendation for a cooler that would be more compact? At this point I won't be able to return the aftermarket one I installed.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly do You mean by its obstructing the slot?

If it's just something like the tab to release the GPU it isn't going to be more then an annoyance.

If it is actually contacting the GPU that isn't good but unless Improperly installed the offset should avoid that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I will take a picture when I get back to the house.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran home during lunch to take a look again. I must have not been seating the GPU properly because it was able to fit but with very little room to spare. The CPU cooler and the GPU are not making contact so everything should be good correct?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The Scythe Mugen 5 is quite compact verically

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Turned PC on for first time. Everything appears to be running but I get black screens on both a monitor and tv.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You're installing the cooler to be blowing straight to the back and not upwards right?

I see other builds using this cooler on an AM4 socket without a problem which is why I'm double checking.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Was able to get it figured out. Thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran home during lunch to take a look again. I must have not been seating the GPU properly because it was able to fit but with very little room to spare. The CPU cooler and the GPU are not making contact so everything should be good correct?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube