add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming vs MSI Z87 MPower - Which one is better?

drumstar2008
  • 72 months ago

I am building a computer for the first time and I am deciding between the MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming and the MSI Z87 MPower. Which one is better/going to give me better performance? If you have another recommendation I would prefer it to be MSI because my video card is MSI and it will have extended features if the motherboard is MSI too.

Here is my computer setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/drumstar2008/saved/4oEC

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Ignore what everyone says regarding ocability. All mobos will get the same overclocks on air and water. It's only if you're doing extreme cooling like ln2 or phase change that it really comes into play. The simple truth is pick the board you like the looks of more. Both will serve you equally well.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

performance will be the same on each one personally i would go with the mpower only because it has wifi while the gd65 doesn't. overclocking will be the same for both the nic is the same as well as the audio. board layout is nearly exactly the same as well

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Is wifi a necessity that would swing me from one motherboard to another though?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

if you dont need it then no but its bluetooth as well which can help. you could also repeat a signal with it and make it like a repeater for your room giving you phone a very good signal. or say you move and dont have access to a ethernet cord you could use it then without getting a card for it

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

seems to me like you know basically what you need go for which one will look the best, since each board offers basically the same features

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

why not the ASUS Z87 Pro? it has dual band wifi, and ASUS is widely regarded as a more reliable brand.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The one main reason I didn't go wight the ASUS was that it did not have easy overclockability.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

from what I know the ASUS Z87 boards are pretty good for overclocking.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

he ask between those 2 thats why

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the GD65 and think it is great. I do not need WiFi or Bluetooth though.

I also do not see a front usb 3.0 header on the MSI Z87 MPower.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, it has them...

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Mpower is better, but it may be a lot more than you ever need... I run the mpower max, but for a typical gamer and overclocker, the gd65 or even the gd45 are all you'll need. Mpower is not technically a gamer board... It is more an enthusiast board for people that want to know they can do anything and everything exceptionally, or break oc records lol... The gd65 and gd45 trade off lesser used features and a bit of the more extreme oc related features (like 20 powerstates) and focus just on what's relevant to high end game systems.

So the mpower is better, but if the gd65 costs less, then you may wish to go that way... Unless your like me and want the best of the best for the extra cost lol

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and the wifi/widi/bt4 on the mpower alone is worth the price difference if you actually use wifi, wireless display, or blutooth

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the GD-65

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The mpower has usb3... More than most other boards too...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube