add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modular vs Semi noob question

Shiozawa

64 months ago

I'm new to building my own PC. Long story short, I love the idea of a fully modular PSU, however the price is a little steep. I've watched YT videos and looked at a few websites, but I still haven't quite gotten it. This is my build, incase I need some of the non-modular cables for some unknown reason. If someone wouldn't mind explaining to me which cords come attached to a semi and which of those I'll need. I watched this video on the Corsair Builder Series CX600M, which is what I was looking at getting. It showed a nice list of which cables come attached to the PSU...but I've no idea what they do, besides the big 20pin one (the mobo, right?). I assume the floppy drive is the last one being referenced, but I haven't seen one of those since I was young. I'm going to take a guess here and show that I've at least tried to do some homework and say that the Molex cord looks a lot like the cord for optical drives, but I've no idea beyond that what it's used for.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

A semi modular power supply normally has all the "essential" cables attached, so like the 24 pin connector, and the CPU power. Different power supplies might add a few more to that, but you get the point.

[comment deleted]
  • 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the difference between the three. I would want a full one, but if I'm using all the cables from a semi anyways, why not save the money? My case has good cable management, I feel confident enough that I can hide what cables the semi comes with. What I don't know is what (20+4 pin ATX, 4+4 pin CPU, sometimes a SATA harness and/or a 6+2 PCI-e) means. What do those cables go to?

1x24 pin, 1x8(4+4)ATX12V/EPS12v, 4x8(6+2)PCI-E, 6xMolex, 9xSATA, 1xFloppy

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

24 pin is your motherboard, 8 pin is CPU, PCIe is for your graphics cards, sound cards etc, SATA cables are normally for drives. Don't know why it would come with a floppy cable but those would be for connecting floppy drives

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

This. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

[comment deleted]
  • 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine came with 2... I still see them though, just as the save icon in Word

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube