add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Future proof case?

JoTheThot

1 month ago

Hey, I'm trying to find my dream case! I currently have the h500 by nzxt and it feels a bit to small for what I'd like. I plan on water cooling in the future, so keep that in mind. I also really enjoy dual glass panels like in the h510 elite and O11 dynamic. At the minute though I have a 240mm aio. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The 011 or even the newer 011 XL are really good choices. Another is the Corsair Obsidian SE 500D RGB since it comes with extra included goodies.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/VxRzK8,xVbwrH,JFQG3C,3Pn8TW/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I like what the other comment mentioned in the 011 XL and the 500D RGB SE as those are some of my favorite cases. I have the 500D RGB SE in a build if you want to check it out (can click next to my username). While I do love the case, if you plan on water cooling, it might be a tad on the smaller side. It can fit a slim 360, 240, and 120, but the reservoir/pump mounting will have to be on the 360 front rad and you need to have a video card under 300mm in length (if you want to fit the front rad and reservoir). Otherwise, it does come with nice fans and the Commander Pro which is a fan and RGB lighting hub. You need to use iCUE but I actually like the software as it controls my AIO and headset (also my memory RGB). Also, the 500D has just about every feature that I expect from a premium case: solid build quality, decent airflow, hinged tempered glass side panels, and front USB C port.

The 011 XL is also a great choice but won't have hinged side panels that swing open (I absolutely love these for easy access to the inside of my case, even if I don't really open it all that much anymore), and it doesn't come with any fans (which may not bother you, but in the end it will be a bit more expensive than the 500D RGB SE). It does have a lot more room for water cooling though.

I have looked at a lot of other cases from Phanteks, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Corsair, and NZXT. The only ones that really stuck out to me are the Cooler Master SL600M, Thermaltake A500, and Phanteks Evolve X. NZXT's newer offerings don't really appeal much to me (maybe the H510 regular version for a budget build as it's solid for the price), and I didn't really see anything from Fractal that I liked aesthetically (which is why I don't mention them at all). For water cooling, you should definitely check out the Evolve X and A500. Some great builds from GGF Events on youtube in those cases.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Technically my old PC case from a Pentium 3 build I put together many years ago was ATX form factor and I could have used that case for a brand new system today.

As long as the standards dont change a case is technically futureproof.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I understand that, I meant more of a case were its aesthetics wont become tasteless in a years time or so. For instance, some of cooler masters more "Gamer-y" cases will look silly in a few years (In my opinion at least).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Though if you are asking what aesthetics will be popular 10 years down the road good luck with that as I do not have a crystal ball. I tend to make my decisions on case due to functionality over all else. Since I usually find a way to repurpose my old builds when I get new ones I usually find myself needing a new case anyhow for a new build as the old one is still going to be in use. I have debated the idea of buying a dirt cheap $30 case for an old build and keep the case for a new one but considering there are plenty of new cases in the $50-$100 bracket I usually decide not to take apart an old build and get a new case.

some of cooler masters more "Gamer-y" cases will look silly in a few years (In my opinion at least)

Yeah I tend to avoid overly flashy cases and stick with a nice minimalistic look on a case. That is why I use a fractal design case for my main build. I am guessing that is what you may be looking for. Perhaps these cases? Personally I have built in the Fractal Design Arc Mini and in the Fractal Design Define Mini C TG cases and I do like both of those cases.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I more so meant something simple that really won’t go out of style (Fractal and NZXT cases are a good example). One of the cases I was considering was the S2 Vision by fractal. Have you had any issues with Fractal before?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have only ever built a PC in the 2 cases I listed previously. Only issue with the Define Mini C tempered glass edition is the glass, it is a fingerprint magnet!! Had to clean the backside of the glass and be very careful putting it on the case without getting any additional fingerprints on the back of the glass. Once it is on then clean the outside part to make sure it stays looking clean. Other than that I have had no actual problems with either case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube