add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build $2,000-$2,500 Budget

BSXBoreinglyfun

1 month ago

I’m new to pc building, and only have a laptop to game with. Want to get a desktop and use it for gaming, and also use it for VR. Don’t need to include VR equipment into the build. Will a $2,000-$2,500 budget be good?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'd at least check the various "build guides". Some of the names include "excellent game build" at the $1100 range, "Enthusiast" at the $1500 range, and "magnificent" at the $2400 level. By $2500 they are pretty much looking for places to spend money... https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

I'd step back a bit and ask what you need.

VR is a big issue, and depending on what headset you choose that could mean up to 2k (x2 per eye) at 90+ fps. I doubt that it requires a 1080ti, but a "game build" will typically spend most of the money in the GPU.

To be honest, the monitor you choose is a great place to start (and head back to and change when you don't like the computer that fits it). What resolution and framerate do you want? Extreme framerates typically pull to Intel builds, or at least require the highest clocked Ryzens. Anything else will work fine with almost any CPU, although I'd recommend at least a 3600 for enough cores/threads.

Resolution x framerate also tells you a lot about how much GPU you will need. And VR wants some significant framerates (unless you are going with a ~$120 hp windows mixed reality special at Microcenter. They are capped at 60fps, but probably not what you want with that budget).

Storage? For the first TB I'd go with NVMe, and the rest with rotating rust (if needed). You probably don't need the HDD, but hoarding old data is a habit of mine.

Memory? I'd go with 16GB, and probably around 3MT/s, unless you have something big in mind other than gaming.

Case/keyboard/mouse/OS - these are pretty much the same in any build, although the bigger budgets might try to buy higher end of most.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I’m very new to this, and I appreciate the help.

1080p is what I’ve been gaming on, and honestly, I don’t mind if it’s that, or 1440.

HTC Vive is the VR that I would like to run.

In the end, I just don’t want to run into frame rate issues, and don’t want to upgrade for a long time.

I will check out the link you gave me, thanks a bunch!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Will a $2,000-$2,500 budget be good?

Even a <$1500 build lands you a solid "good". The <$2500 territory is touching on "powerhouse performance"

Are you looking to secure the whole package, incl. operating system (Windows), display, keyboard, mouse, headset, speakers, etc?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The budget will be just for the case and the parts that go into it.

No monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Without throwing in a larger than life expensive GPU into the mix but something more "balanced" with plenty of headroom for the long run, what type of display resolution are you running (1080p/1440p/etc)? And refresh rate (60/75/144hz/etc)?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1440p with 144hz.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Plenty of power to fire up 1440p + VR:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $327.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.79 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $74.98 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $199.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $739.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.98 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan $12.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan $12.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1897.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 20:18 EDT-0400

There is the 2080 TI possibility which keeps you well within the 2.5K budget. Although it's the best gaming card currently available, for me there's not enough performance gain for the asking price. Preference being, saving the rest of the money for a quicker GPU upgrade in a couple of years for more perceptibly tangible performance returns.

Other options are purely based on user preference/requirements:

• If interested in overclocking - the intel path gets the vote (i7-9700K, or edging towards a gamers overkill for a i9-9900K). If the OC route is appealing we'd be looking for a Z390 mobo and preferably a top-notch air cooler around the $80-$90 range for best performance. Or a 280/360mm AIO if that suits your fancy.

• If WIFI is required, you have the option of integrated WIFI solutions with X570 mobos using the WIFI 6 standard (AX-band).

• Maybe some RGB, if thats something you're looking to secure?

• A different case option per user preference?

• Just to clarify, this is purely for gaming right? Not streaming or other compute intensive tasks?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Definitely need WIFI, RGB is nice, and yes, purely for gaming. Thank you for this list and your help!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Do you think you will run VR games that need 32+ GB RAM?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

To be honest I'm not sure, I am new to this, and don't know if VR games require that much RAM. If they do, I hope my budget can help out the process.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube