add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rebuilding Old Tower With New Parts

Heres_Johnny

1 month ago

I have a tower I built around 8 years ago. It had been pretty good until recently, I upgraded to Windows 10 and the motherboard does not have drivers that support Windows 10. (I really should have checked first!) Now the system is really slow and buggy. I have a full size tower, several additional fans (due to being in a shop that gets really hot in the summer), an old AMD 6 core processor and a GeForce GTX 650 Ti. I run triple monitors, and use this rig as a multitasking base, and have never (yet) gamed on this setup. I also use it as a data hub, ripping DVDs to hard drive to watch later or storing data for my business and service manuals for trucks I work on. I normally use several programs at once, but none of them should be really demanding. Normal days would include any of watching a movie and/or compiling an Arduino sketch and/or surfing the web and/or recovering deleted files and/or pulling pics from a friends phone and putting the on USB while and/or using a PDF .... You get the idea. This thing used to eat literally anything I threw at it and laugh (I called it my tower of death), now I'm not sure that I'll get through this post without crashing.

So my first question is, besides the fans, is anything else still good? How can you determine the remaining life of a PSU? Is a GTX 650 Ti still relevant? How do you reliably check the health of hard drives?

Second question is what would you recommend, bearing in mind I'm still trying to talk my wife into an emulation rig and money for my shop rig looks really bad right now? I'm thinking AMD will still be a good friend. Any help (or questions) are welcome!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $144.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 Memory $79.98 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $59.98 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $45.98 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $53.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $563.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 21:49 EDT-0400

Emulation doesn't need much if targeting SNES or DOS games.

Vega 11 is similar to the 650 Ti

And with Win 10, less than $600.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

I'd say that after 8 years, you should go for a PSU replacement. GTX 650 Ti could be worse, but is quite irrelevant. Here's a link for how to check HDD health: https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-hard-disk-health-windows/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube