add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal Define R6 front mounted radiator as exhaust?

El_Frijole

3 months ago

I'm mulling different possibilities for cooling setups for my R6. Planning on using a Noctua NH-D15s for the cpu and a 280mm AIO for the gpu with the radiator mounted in the front. I would like to leave the top cover in place as I'm trying to have the PC be as quiet as possible. Originally was planning on having the front mounted radiator as intake and the rear 140mm fan for exhaust. Now I'm considering the possibility of running 2 140mm fans on the bottom as intake and exhausting the radiator out the front to help the Noctua cooler out.

Curious if anyone has tried something like this or know someone who has. I couldn't find anything. My worry is that the vents on the front of the case seem to be designed with intake in mind and wouldn't do an adequate job of venting heat coming off the radiator. My priority is to cool the gpu since the RTX cards start throttling performance at a much lower temp than the cpu would.

My guess is that the front intake setup is what I'll probably end up using. I'm just worried about the Noctua handling a decent overclock with the case being heated up by the front radiator.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The intakes on that case are dust filter protected and depending on the pressure of the air if it ends up being negative pressure you may end up pulling air in through the back of the case. Not a huge problem but the back is not dust filtered and you may end up with needing to clean out the PC more.

Now the radiator intake will not heat the case up as much as you are thinking it would. If you do a really pressure positive build with front as intake with the rad and one bottom fan intake then the air inside the case would only heat up by a few degrees at most due to the GPU. It won't cause your CPU to burn.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Yah, if I try the front exhaust setup I’ll block off the holes in the rear of the case. I think I’ll most likely end up running the front as intake. Will be better for gpu cooling anyways which is what I want.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Both the CPU and GPU produce heat, the way you suggested has the CPU heat dumped in the case then pulled through the radiator for the GPU. The other way is the air from outside comes in through the radiator and heats up the inside of the case for the CPU. Either way one of them will affect the other. TBH it does not matter as much as you think it does because with good airflow the cross heat from either component will not make a big difference to the other.

Luckily the Define R6 is a case with good airflow so this should not be much of a concern. It is far more important to have a good airflow path through the case so any heat dumped in the case won't stay very long. Thus not allowing heat to build up to be an issue. There have been some bad cases in the past (iirc gamers nexus did a joke video on that) where there is very poor airflow and you can get run away thermals.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube