add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

UNREAL Engine PC for my Husband

ninamarie8253

2 months ago

I'm gona be building my husband a nice PC for him for Christmas to game with, but mostly for him to learn UNREAL on and get good at creating video game stuff. He's been getting into it on my Razer Blade laptop, but he's been saving up for Black Friday to buy his own PC.

My question is, for UNREAL engine, do we want more cores? Or higher GHZ for the CPU? I'll start him off with a 2080 GPU, but things like a monitor and the cpu are yet to be determined. And I need him to pick out a case too lol!

What are your thoughts? Thanks so much! www.ninamariephoto.com

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $326.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $48.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $106.69 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $623.99 @ Best Buy
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case $123.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $94.57 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1550.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 11:37 EST-0500

The long GPU limits your case choices a little bit; if you don't mind slightly more noise, the FD Focus G with an extra case fan would work and cost less. Or a different case brand - lots to choose from. You could probably dial back the CPU cooler to a Pure Rock or Arctic Freezer 34 and be perfectly fine.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much!! yeah Ive heard of Pure Rock or Arctic Freezer more than the Sycthe, this is great though thank you!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The answer is both. For the actual work faster core performance for compiling the work and C++ more cores.

I would look at the 2700X / 3700x 32GB of memory, and using a SSD for a scratch drive.

Everything depending upon your budget.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

How many cores or ghz should we be lookin for you think?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The AMD I listed has 8 cores 16 threads. Their other options depending on your budget.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup just saw that, thank you!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of budget are we looking at? Optimally you'll have the moolah for something like this which will give you a 3700x (with 8 cores 16 threads) and a fairly high core clock. However the socket that supports this CPU is considerably more expensive, and the SSDs that fully utilize this socket of mobo's features are expensive as well, but they are "fast as fucc." If you don't want/need/can't have this featureset, enter this which is considerably cheaper, but doesn't really sacrifice much performance except for what I meantioned an pros for build one above.

Note that both of these are using the RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio by MSI, which was the cheapest 2080 available at the time of writing because of a sale but is normally a fairly expensive, premium 2080.

Enjoy, I'll gladly answer any questions you have :)

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, I've neglected to add any hard drives to these builds to keep cost down, but game design (particularly in UNREAL) can get pretty space inefficient, especially if he'll have other games installed as well. Consider adding a 2-3tb HDD to these if you feel he'll use that much space.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I would not buy either of those without a aftermarket cooler.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't say I disagree for the 3700x build, but the 2700x really doesn't need anything more than the Wraith Prism. It's the best stock cooler ever made. It looks great and performs almost as well. Unless you'll be extreme overclocking I can't see a 2700x needing an aftermarket cooler.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

for the i7-9700k or the 3800x, whats the best cheapest watercooling (or air cooling) I can safely go for? Had no idea unreal used cpu so much more than GPU...

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Consider the Corsair H100i for water cooling or Noctua NH-D15 for air cooling. And btw, Unreal doesn't necessarily use more cpu than gpu, but it will like the extra threads the 3700x has to give. I just haven't really talked about the gpu since a 2080 will be more than enough

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah exactly something like that! We're looking to do this under $2,000. so that first build looks pretty great! Do you trust MSI motherboards btw? my co-worker has one and has had a nightmare with the bios on it, but its an older one.
oh shoot theres a sale on the 2080 msi's? Should I snatch that now for him? are they good cards? I have an EVGA - love their customer service!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I would just look up the reviews of the card. If they aren't 100% positive, wait because then you'll have time to think it over come black friday, when there will surely be more sales. As far as MSI mobos - I have a Gigabyte myself, and my only complaint is that the RGB software is a bit lacking lol. If again just give the board a google search, because it isn't hard to find horror stories to warn you of faulty hardware. Fortunately, most hardware doesn't have such occurrences, and the B450 Tomahawk is particularly well recieved by some sources I trust. Ultimately though it's your $2,000 so it's your decision.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube