add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Skid_Missle
  • 3 months ago

I currently have a HP Pavilion 570-p077cb Desktop PC. I do a lot of excel work and lately this computer bogs down. Can anything be upgraded to speed things up with excel or is it time for a new computer? Thanks.

AMD A12-9800 (Bristol Ridge) CPU speed: 3.8 GHz (max turbo boost - 4.2 GHz) CPU cores: 4 CPU Cache: 2 MB L2 TDP: 65 W Integrated graphics: Radeon R7 Series 8 GB Amount: 8 GB Speed: PC4-19200 MB/s Type: DDR4-2400 Integrated graphics Integrated AMD Radeon R7 Graphics 2 TB Size: 2 TB Interface: SATA Rotational speed: 7200 rpm Internal 180 W PSU 180 W uATX Regular internal power supply 68% efficiency

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll second the addition of memory, and I'd replace the hard drive with an SSD. (Factor in about $20 for a USB-to-SATA dongle so that you can plug the new SSD into a USB port and transfer all your data / files over.) When you ultimately decide to upgrade the rest, you can definitely re-use the SSD and probably the memory.

A 2 TB Crucial MX500 in 2.5" form factor is $220. It and the memory increase should make a huge difference, enough for you get get another couple years out of the PC.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Budget for a new setup?

Location?

OS will be needed, what else could get an upgrade?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying. If I had to get a new setup, would $1000 be sufficient to run large excel spreadsheets without slowing down? I would reuse monitor, keyboard and mouse. I'm from the US. I thought about increasing memory to 16gb and upgrading to a SSD drive but not sure if its worth upgrading the above PC. I don't think I have many options with upgrading to better video card because the case is so small.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Any gaming or is this just for Excel?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

My main concern is working on excel. Gaming would be a bonus if its possible.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

An ssd drive will speed it up, 8gb of memory might be short and causing excel issues. If you can hear the drive start running while you work and it slows it may be caching things, in that case more memory would help. Or check the performance monitor. You could use the ssd in a new PC as well so that is not wasted, you could get a stick of memory. If that is ddr4 you can use memory in new ryzen too but you generally need 2 matched sticks. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05735296 HP says you have best processor. Says it can do 16gb of memory. I would think memory shortage since that should run excel easily. Unless your drive is full or something like that.

It has 2 sata connectors (hdd/dvd) and m.2 slot. It does not say what m.2 to use or if it can boot from it, says M key is all, so IDK what it would take. You could clone the drive to a sata ssd and use that, see what a 16gb memory kit costs, go from there. Otherwise yes its time for new.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely hear the drive running while working. Especially when doing vlookups on large data files. It gets to the point that the computer sits for a few minutes before it will let me do anything with excel. According to the website it supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400). I think 2 sticks of 8gb is about $60. It will probably be worth spending that to see if it improves. I'll make sure whatever I get is compatible if I have to get a new PC. Thanks for helping.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That is about the last processor before ryzen, it should not be slow on office based tasks unless you are doing massive calculations. In past I worked with 10 page 800 line excel files, it was fun lol. But if you run out of memory that will slow anything down, its my best guess that would help especially if you show memory is full while doing it. The ssd would speed loading and boot, and windows swap file, but if its memory issue it wont get rid of that. You would have to verify what exactly m.2 drive would work and if it can boot it (because older PC were not all on the same page with m.2 drives). Or get a sata but with 2 connectors you would have to clone your drive and replace the hdd, its a 2tb that is about 200 to buy one. Either one could be used in a new PC however, and the memory though its nicer to run 3200 speed (or close) in a newer ryzen. I don't know of faster memory being a problem long as its the kind that fits ie ddr4 which yours says it is. This site should find you the best deal on memory.

I don't see a GPU affecting excel, sure it would help with games. A GPU may require larger PSU.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $327.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $229.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $59.98 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Low Profile Video Card $85.47 @ Walmart
Case Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $42.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Corsair
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $995.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 22:16 EST-0500

You feared Excel, now Excel fears you.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Would this be upgradeable if I wanted to do any gaming on this setup? Thanks.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes (a new GPU should slot right in)

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If I upped this to $1500, what would be the best upgrade? Thanks.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $229.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $69.98 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card $439.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Total $1503.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 12:22 EST-0500

mainly GPU

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a reason you chose this case over so many others? I like the case, just curious. Thanks.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

it has great airflow, and is one of the top-rated cases on the site that also doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

One last question before I hit the buy button. I noticed windows says dvd, do they not come on a thumb drive. How does that work if the computer doesn’t have a dvd? Do I have to use the dvd on another computer to install on a thumb drive? Thanks.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ easy build to run everything you need and also you can game all day long on this thing. if you really need 3700x for 8 cores you can just down grade gpu to 1660 ti and get 3700x

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $67.98 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $97.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card $409.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
Total $1024.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 08:33 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube