add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for help with Upgradable Gaming PC

LazyBookWyrm

24 days ago

So yesterday my laptop decided to die on me and it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to fix it. I've been saving money for a PC, but now that I don't have a laptop I'm going to need to buy a PC sooner, hopefully during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I'm looking to get something decent for gaming, want to run games like Squad and Arma 3, web browsing, and school work. Since I am getting this earlier then I was expecting, I only have around $500 max atm, so I am a little limited in price. I'm going to buy a good graphics card and solid state drive later down the road, so they don't have to fit in the $500 range though I'd still like suggestions for them. If a CPU doesn't have integrated graphics I will have to find a temporary graphics solution.

A friend suggested this build for me, you guys have any thoughts? I would have to find some sort of temporary graphics solution for it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $72.98 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $76.25 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $38.95 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case $79.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $444.82
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $434.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 01:13 EST-0500

Comments

• 24 days ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $67.98 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $44.98 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
Total $448.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 04:50 EST-0500

The 3400G is a fairly powerful CPU for its price, not to mention the integrated Vega 11 Graphics which is good even for some moderate gaming. Later on, you can add a dedicated GPU so you can turn up the graphics.

In the given situation, I would recommend a single stick of 8GB RAM, but since the 2 stick sets are super cheap right now, you may as well go with that. You'll have to eventually upgrade to 16 GB at some point anyway.

If you plan on getting the SSD after the HDD, that'll mean reinstalling Windows onto the SSD. Which is fine, but it's easier to stick in an SSD and get the benefits right away. You can grab a 2 TB for ~$50 once you run out. For now, if your laptop hard drive didn't die, you can try and salvage that for the time being.

• 24 days ago
  • 2 points

Here

This is pretty much the exact build I always tell people to grab in your price range, and here's why:

You're getting an all-around pretty great PC experience for less than $500. I know you said not to include an SSD, but if it fits in the budget why cut corners you're already past?

16gbs of 3200mhz ram, which will give you a great web-browsing experience in partnership with the SSD.

The 3400g delivers great integrated graphics for the price, and then operates as a great regular CPU once a GPU is installed. Also, i've included a B450 mobo even though the 3400g doesn't technically need it so as to have a better upgrade path. You can install up to a 3900x (I know, crazy) with a bios update.

550 Watt PSU will support pretty much every GPU you want to drop in, which leads me too:

GPU Recommendations. For this build, I think the RTX 2060 / 260 SUPER will treat you well, as well as the 5700 / 5700xt. Cheapest will be 2060, especially on Black Friday given it's the oldest card mentioned here. Most powerful is (debatably of course, always have team red fans) the 2060 SUPER, and it's what I would grab being a couple bucks cheaper than the 5700xt.

Hope this helps, reply with any questions!

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

Please, explain in detail the issue you're having with your Laptop, how did it die?

Black screen, fan turns, HDD spins? Bad LED or software related.

No power, no fan? Bad A/C adapter or battery

Brand/ Model?

Ryzen 5 1600 does not have on-board graphics and requires a graphics card for video output.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $99.12 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $72.98 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Signature Premium 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $30.00
Storage ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $24.99 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card $119.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $29.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 400 W ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ ModMyMods
Total $412.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 03:42 EST-0500

Ryzen 3 2200G cpu has integrated graphics. Can add GPU later for better gaming fps and texturing.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $78.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $72.98 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Signature Premium 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $30.99 @ Amazon
Storage ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $24.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Adorama
Case Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $29.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 400 W ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ ModMyMods
Total $316.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 03:48 EST-0500

Will need to add an (OS) Operating System.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Laptop just randomly decided to stop charging, battery died and won't run even when plugged in. Charging cord is fine, I tried another one that my roommate uses for his computer. I removed the battery and tried running it without the battery while plugged in but got no success there.

• 24 days ago
  • 2 points

Brand/ Model of Laptop?

Remove battery, unplug power, press and hold power button for 15-30 seconds, then replace battery, attach A/C adapter try to power on. Still doesn't work?

Are you certain you friends A/C adapter is the same voltage? Same positive and negative polarity?

With battery removed, plug in with a know working A/C adapter.

which is happening

1) When you press power button, no sound from HDD, no sound from the cooling fan. Possible bad A/C adapter or bad power jack. If not then possible bad stick of Ram. Remove all Ram modules then see if it powers on. Still doesn't power on, but has a lit led. Next remove HDD and see if it powers up, if not. At this point, you would have to open up the case and replace the power button. If that doesn't fix it, then it's either the Motherboard, CPU, LED or USB power board. Either of which may not be worth fixing or beyond you ability to repair.

2) When you press the power button, the led lights come on, hear HDD spin, hear cooling fan spin, but nothing happens on the screen.

Hope this helps

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Acer E5-575-33BM

Neither of our adapters have the polarity online but from what I found online they're the same. Voltage is the same on both.

When it stopped charging, trying to turn it on would turn on the screen display and show "Critical Low Battery". Took the back of to take out the batter, then plugged it in, did nothing. Replaced the battery and it still does nothing, doesn't even try to power on anymore. I've had it for 2 years now, bought it refurbished for $300 I believe so I'm kinda resigned to it though it sucks. I don't think trying to repair it would be worth it.

Thanks for the help :)

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Here, here !

Yeah, there goes the 'Green House' effect....not 80 plus cert.

I've got a tech friend who builds budget computers and uses that power supply, 2-3 years later dozens of them are still out there. No houses burnt down. Knock on wood.

This system without the graphics card has a max power load of 160W and idles at maybe 100W.

The OP has an option whether or not to use low priced parts.

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

I would go with a 450CX (which will be plenty for a 1660S) for $50 or a 550W version (which would be enough for a 2060S/lower-wattage 5700) for $60.

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

One of my brothers is anal-retentive. 'His well-versed criticism is familiar to us'

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube