add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade or overclock?

USAFdude02

2 months ago

Hey Guys,

New to the forums and just wanted a few opinions here are my specs:

• Budget: Open
  • Use (gaming, rendering, etc): Gaming and possible rendering 4k drone videos
  • Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): Monitor recommendations would be nice for 4k
  • Operating System required: Windows 10 (already have)

Here is my current config, I prefer Intel, always have...don't kill me :D

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/USAFdude02/saved/ykBFTW

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Just a comment about gaming at 4K if that's what you had in mind: monitors with refresh rates over 60Hz are still very expensive. That means that you don't need a CPU that can generate more than 60 fps, but you will need a pretty hefty GPU because only the 2080 and 2080Ti can sustain 60fps at 4k at higher detail levels. Lesser GPU's can do it, but only at reduced graphics detail, which would seem to defeat the purpose.

If you do get a high refresh rate 4K panel, you're basically tied to the 2080 Ti since right now it's the only GPU that can deliver over 60fps in 4K consistently.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I currently have 2k monitors and play mostly CoD Modern Warfare but get pretty good drops in FR. I might wait and see what CES brings. I am not in a terrible rush but definitely want to start my research. Plus I am very picky if I do OC. I would want to make sure to re-apply paste etc.

My temp concerns were just that 10-15C jump in a few seconds and back down are odd to me but Kuby Lakes I hear tend to do that.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you own that build, i guess yes, right?

Is that system not good enough for the tasks you have in mind to do?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Mark,

I do currently own this build...case is different but I can't remember what exactly it is. I have 2x2k monitors I will probably look at upgrading.

Just looking for recommendations if I upgrade, which parts CPU/GPU or if I should just overclock. Thing is that I have the H100i and temps still hit mid-60's back and forth gaming. I thought temps would be much more lower and stable not bouncing 10 degrees C while gaming.

I have not yet tried 4k video editing since I only have 2k monitors.

Thanks!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thing is that I have the H100i and temps still hit mid-60's back and forth gaming. I thought temps would be much more lower and stable not bouncing 10 degrees C while gaming.

That's pretty normal. A game doesn't run with the same load through the whole gaming session.

And 60C is also a very good number. The i7-7700K (especially if OCed) does consume quite a lot.

That processor was the king as gaming concerns a couple years ago, and the same applies (these days) for the i9-9900K.

Actually the only reason for upgrading the processor for rendering tasks, is if you aren't satisfied with the performance so far.

But yes, a higher count CPU processor will definitely do better.

Now if you change the processor you will definitely change the motherboard as the i7-7700K is the highest that a Z270 chip-set board can handle.

And with that being said, you have two choices. Intel again or AMD

For rendering purposes i would prefer an AMD processor, as you will pay less for the same amount of cores or **even a bit more for more cores if compared with an i9-9900K)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube