add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Jailjay

26 days ago

I am a console gamer looking to move to PC before the PS5 release. New to PC building and I'm looking for starting builds to get an idea as to what parts I need to start looking for. Do not want to spend over 1600$ but I can go a little over if I have to get the build I want. Requirements are it must an intel processor, windows 10 operating system, no peripherals required but if you have monitor suggestion I'm all ears. higher end video card that can handle almost any game on max settings, water cooling is preferred but I can deal with air if I have too. It will almost always be used for gaming. Thank you

Comments

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

USA?

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

I read the PS5 is gonna have an 8 core Zen2 processor, that says to me it'll be pretty much like a Ryzen 3700x. (Which has a good cooler included for extra value for money).

That'll pair well with a high end 2080 Super graphics card, but for now you can beat current consoles with an 8GB version AMD's "RX 580" or "RX 590"

I'm doing something like that already, so watch this space while I try to come up with a cheaper and Intel version of my own build for you.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

yeah the ps5 actually looks like it is going to run like a midrange gaming pc. It's actually pretty impressive. And will do.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Right, I'd say 8K and even real (not upscaled) 4K are still a bit overambitious for it, but the SSDs will be a welcome change. Okay, so here's Intel PEM (Project Epsilon Mantis):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bknPn7

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $359.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $36.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $143.63 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $144.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $116.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1235.50
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $1200.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 19:58 EST-0500

It would be a 2560x1440p high fps gaming rig, but I've swapped out the graphics card and cooling solutions for an ultra-budget option, so for now you'll just have to put up with 1080p and low-ish game settings. For a monitor my advice would be to get whatever cheap 1080p monitor with "FreeSync" you can find, possibly second hand, then save up for a nice 1440p model later.

CPU Often regarded as the best CPU you can get for gaming right now, though it doesn't come with a cooler, and the price to performance ratio just isn't as good as a 3700x. The "K" in the name means you can overclock it (push it for better performance) if you power and cool it hard enough.

CPU Cooler The Hyper 212 is well regarded for cheap CPU coolers, this Black edition isn't much more expensive, while looking cool, being a tad easier to install, and actually working a tad better because black things absorb and radiate heat well.

You'll be replacing this with a top-mounted, 240mm radiator (eg Corsair H100i Pro) blowing upwards; when it's time to leave the PS5 in the dust.

Motherboard One of the cheaper boards you can get for overclocking the CPU in this build, with room for two ridonculously fast, tiny "NVME" SSDs. You'll be wanting to mount your graphics card in the strong, silvery, top PCIE slot. Don't bother with trying to mount two graphics cards, it just doesn't work well. Instead, consider using one of the lower slots for a good sound card.

Memory The best makers of RAM this year are Corsair, Kingston, and Patriot. While you could go faster than 3200Mhz, there's not much point in that for gaming. CAS Latency is low on these, at "16" , so that's all performance bases covered at minimum costs. Looks slick anyway.

Storage You'll probably want more storage later down the line, but for now, the ADATA XPG SX8200 is bloody fast, reliable for a lot of work and time, and good value for money.

Video Card Very much a budget option, but still better than an XBox One X if the specs on Windows Central are anything to go by. Anyway it'll run anything recent so long as you don't expect better graphics than a console. Get MSI Afterburner and use that program to overclock it for best results. There's a guide for that on PC Gamer.

If you feel you could afford to spend a bit more on a graphics card right now, I've read very good things about the 1660 Super for gaming at 1080p, but then you'd also want to shell out for a 120+Hz GSync monitor to make the most of that.

Case Built well, breathes well, holds what you want it to while showing it off, looks great. It comes with two fans, one front, one back. You'll want to try aligning them with the CPU cooler for best possible air flow.

Once you've got a fancier GPU and a top mounted radiator, turn the rear fan around to face the CPU, and buy another case fan to mount underneath the GPU at the bottom, for a vertical wind tunnel effect.

Power Supply This supplies a good 100W more power than the system will need, even when you've installed more storage, better cooling, a good sound card, and a fancy graphics card. There are two reasons for this:

1: Power supplies stay cooler and consume less electricity when they aren't being pushed to their limits. 2: Components use a lot more power after you overclock them to make the most of them. 3: It'll last for 10 years, so you save money in the long run by getting one that works for whatever you build in that time.

This one has detachable cables for easy wiring, and it's extremely efficient.

Operating System While I got Windows 10 with my current pre-built, my Dad got Windows 10 for like 20 quid on EBay. I've included it here anyway in case you don't find a good deal anyway.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate. Will definitely keep some of these budget options in mind and I do plan on upgrading over time. No point in overdoing a first build.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $359.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $36.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $137.00 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $229.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1206.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 21:24 EST-0500

crazy cheap PSU for the moment (normally $80+!, yet is a high-tier PSU, reviews look good as well on Newegg), 1660S, and a mobo that doesn't need the connector.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Gonna note here: There's various calculators for how much power you need, eg. Outervision , for working out how much power you need.

Without checking there I'm guessing that power supply would cut it, just look for some good reviews to be sure it's reliable - power supply failures can seriously damage the rest of the rig, or even turn into fire hazards if it's badly made.

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I don't need much power. And the build you have me is under budget for what im looking for which is good because it gives me room to upgrade the power and graphics card if I want too.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube