add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to this. Help! Need PC for streaming flash games and light video editing!

paulosc

29 days ago

I have spent two weeks looking at builds and still have not got a clue what i am looking at or need! I have had no luck on facebook groups, everyone is blinding me with jargon and science when all i want is to be pointed in the right direction.

Basically i need a computer to perform the following functions...

Video editing 1080p max (my laptop currently takes 5 hours to render a 30 minute 1080p vid so any improvement on that would be a plus)

I would also like to stream games like poker etc (nothing with crazy graphics)

Plus i occasionally play world of tanks (I don't care too much about max graphic settings but it would be nice to see the game in all its glory!)

Reliability is must and also room to upgrade if i need to in future. What sort of budget would i reasonably need for this?
Sorry for all the questions!

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

First thing: how deep are your pockets? Based on what you're looking for you could end up spending anywhere between $800 - $1800.

Second: Which rendering/video editing software do you use? This is a big decider on what CPU or GPU you will want.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Really? Wow. I paid like $400 for my old laptop brand new and it did all these things well until last few months (its getting slow now) I use filmora for my editing. I record online poker and slots and edit them for youtube. That is the only editing i do, I really don't want to pay $1000+ for these simple things.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

OK, I had a look at filmora recommended specs.

Since it's for basic editing I could come up with a $570 build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $36.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $44.98 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.04 @ HP
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $571.51
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 18:41 EST-0500

The integrated graphics on the R5 3400G should be good for some light gaming, although don't expect anything like max settings.

The CPU on there has 4 cores with SMT, which basically means it can run as if it had 8 cores, though only works with the right software. You will most likely benefit from SMT when streaming and possibly rendering videos.

8 GB of RAM is the bare minimum, but I would advise 16 GB RAM to make sure nothing is sluggish (extra ~30 bucks).

Also, what's the laptop you have now?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

You're very kind to help me, thank you!

Would this setup be able to stream? I am willing to spend around $750 so is there any improvements you would recommend. You have been very helpful already and i don't want to take up your time

I'm not sure what the laptop is, i know its a HP Envy but unsure of the model. I used to play world of tanks with it with pretty poor graphics but now it cant even handle that!

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

No worries, happy to help - don't worry about my time haha.

Hmm, about your current PC, usually when they slow down like that, they're fixable.

Can I ask you the check the CPU you have in that laptop?

If you're not sure, open Task Manager (can be searched in the start menu) and click on more details, then go to the performance tab. Then 'read out' the text you have, where I've encircled it in the below image:

https://imgur.com/zdTCvvX

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Sure think my friend. This means nothing to me, just a load of mumbo jumbo haha

https://imgur.com/a/fY06DNR

Any improvement on what i currently have would be a godsend! I miss driving around in my tank shooting Russians haha

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

$750 is a much more roomy budget because I can shoehorn in a dedicated video card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $44.98 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card *XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card $129.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $54.53 @ Walmart
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.04 @ HP
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $725.49
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 19:52 EST-0500

I've also included 16 GB RAM so you'll have nice performance margin when editing 1080p videos. Not to mention, somewhat future proof.

Sorry, but I will have to leave it at for the moment. It's a little here in the UK, so I'm gonna call it a night. If you have any other questions I will definitely get to them tomorrow.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

I thought you was from US, that's why i was talking in Dollars haha Its late here in deep dark Cornwall also, I got caught up with it all :D

Thanks a lot mate, you've been a diamond and i will have a look in depth at your parts list tomorrow and see if someone on here can better it in any way? No harm in getting a second opinion.

Once again thank you very very much.

No doubt i will nag you tomorrow with more noob questions!

Paul

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

You seem to know your stuff. I hate being such a noob when it comes to this but i guess we all have to start somewhere. I have always been a buy it off the shelf type of guy but others have talked me into building my own rig as i will get a lot more bang for my back so to speak.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube